**Pics of our 1st day out**

Judymae

Songster
12 Years
Apr 22, 2007
Merit, Tx
Finally I was able to finish the run. We have had record rains this year after 2 years of drought. Mud is everywhere. Since no rain was falling today we jumped at the chance to get the run done. The girls hadn't been outside at all(because of the rain) so they weren't too sure of the whole experience. One of my barred rocks didn't like the feel of grass or mud under here. She found my leg more comfortable! Momma duck kept a close eye on everything that was going on. She is such a good momma!
ya.gif

HPIM0554.jpg

I think we are gonna start calling Cody -- Chicken
HPIM0553.jpg
Man! They love him!
HPIM0541.jpg
HPIM0539.jpg
HPIM0538.jpg
HPIM0550.jpg
HPIM0552.jpg
HPIM0542.jpg

They think it's picnic time on the towel!
HPIM0543.jpg

Last edited:
judymae...we are getting a young male and a female white crested duck tomorrow morning. I have a few quick qs since you have both ducks and chickens.

1. There are also some rouen ducks on offer ...unsexed. They are about 4-8 weeks old the same as the white crested. The woman bought the whites as a sexed pair though. --> is it a bad idea to get 2 of the rouens and hope i dont get 2 males? If i got 2 females would that be a problem? Should i just stick with the 2 whites?
2. Will the chickens kill/peck/fight/be mean to the ducks?
3. Will the ducks sleep in the chicken house?
4. I dont free range my birds as we are predator central...but they have a 900 sq foot run to enjoy complete with netting roof and 6 foot chainmail fencing with barbed wire around the top. I understand that neither of these breed of ducks fly...will they need something to sit on/roost on? Do ducks even roost?
5. What do you use for bedding? I read that wood shavings can make them sick?

I plan on giving them the same chick starter/grower that i have my 5 week old chicks on...what do you think?

Many thanks.

Hi Aran-Hope I can answer all your questions. If you get a duck and it does turn out to be male it WILL try to mate with the hens. I don't know why but mine can't get enough of my hens! I would be really scared to have that many males if the rouens both turned out to be male. Poor chickies--if you know what I mean!!! My ducks sleep in the chicken house but they don't like to roost. Well not when they are sleeping anyway. They like to have hay or straw or a box on the ground to sleep in. I find eggs all over the coop ground. My coop usually has hay in the bottom of it. Right now it doesn't have anything because we just built it and moved them in today. We didn't put a floor in the coop. I have to order some hay for it tomorrow. My momma duck likes to climb anything she can and watch from high. My group has never fought. I raised them all pretty much together except for the new girls and the new ducklings. Momma has been watching the new girls and making sure they don't get too close to her ducklings. So far she only chased one of the chicks outta the coop. It returned later and she didn't do anything to it that time. I think she might be moody! As for the feed. I tried giving mine food especially for ducks but they won't eat it. They want the chick starter. If I let them out of the run they go straight to the horse's sweet feed! They are pigs!

I hope I got all your questions-if not just let me know. Good luck on the new duckies. I just love mine. They are so much fun. I love to see them shake their little duck butts!

the lady is coming with the ducks in about an hour...i have decided to take the whites and 3 of the rouens...now by the law of averages if i pick the rouens at random there should be at least one of each sex in the 3..theoretically. If they turn out to be all male then they are all going to be sold...if they are all girls we will keep them...if there is a pair and a spare we will keep the pair and sell the spare. Sound like a plan?

Aran-go for it but I want to see pics soon!

Amy I think you are looking at the Golden Campines. Here's a pic on one.
HPIM0481.jpg

They are beautiful birds. I have two and I love them. If that's not the chicken you were talking about then it is probably one of the americaunas. They have the same look with a little black on top of their heads. Let me know if that's the one you are talking about.

Back
Top Bottom