pics of our new coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by angry gary, Jun 29, 2011.

1. angry gary

angry gary Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2011
    Front Royal, Va
    here is our finished coop. we built it over a weekend and a couple hours before work a couple weeks ago. our coop is 2 foot off the ground and is 4 1/2 foot long by 3 1/2 foot wide. our run is 18 feet long by 8 foot wide. the space under the coop is also open for our birds.
    [​IMG]

here is the inside. since taking this picture i have moved the roost out from the wall a bit more. i found all the birds were vying for space on the wider end of the perch

[​IMG]

we built it next to the deck on the back of our house so we can sit out on the deck and watch our hens. i did the roof of our coop with cedar shakes. it took a bit more time but we much prefer seeing the cedar than tar shingles.

[​IMG]

and of course since it has been built my daughters dog, Barkley J. Ravensworth IV, has been constantly overseeing everything. he will bring his squeeky toys and his chew toys to the side of the run and drop them there. i cannot figure out if he wants them to play with him or he is trying to lure them in to him so he can try to eat them!

[​IMG]

here are a couple pictures of some of our hens. some did not like the papparozzi taking pictures of them so they stayed under the coop. also can someone tell me the name of the blackand gold hen in the first pic? we wrote down all the types we bought at a local show but forgot her.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

thanks for looking and any helpful advice is welcome.

gary and judy

2. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Very nice. You all did a great job. [​IMG]

3. kfchickenlady

kfchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    N.Calif.
    Quote:what a nice coop and pretty chickens too! the black and gold looks like an easter egger. The blueish legs and coloring give it away.

4. ginger c.

ginger c. Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Alabama
    great looking coop and run!! [​IMG]

5. Tenmore

Tenmore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Ogden utah
    Looks great Just one question what it the netting on top of run made of? [​IMG]

6. gunnarmcc

gunnarmcc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2011
    SSF, CA
    Quote:looks to be simple poultry netting to me

7. angry gary

May 30, 2011
    Front Royal, Va
    the netting on the top is black poultry netting. i figured the top will be safe. we usually keep both of our dogs outside most of the time and do not have problems with varmints and predators. a neighbor up the road has built a tractor coop without much protection on the under side. i can actually stick most of my arm up underneath it at the wheel end. he has had it for over a year without incident. we also have a neighbor who likes to sit outside with his varmint rifle and eliminate anything that he thinks is getting into his garden. he has been complaining for the last couple years how he hasn't had anything to "remove" from his property!
    also we have our pop door opened with a small cable run through a couple eyelet bolts over to our deck. we can open and close it from above. i looked into the automatic openers and all the fancy homemade devices but this was by far the most simple and cost effective way to do it. i also ran electric to it for the winter if needed.

also i made an error in my dimensions earlier. it is actually 5 1/2 foot long and 4 foot wide.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  8. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    I like it! What is the roof made of?

9. angry gary

May 30, 2011
    Front Royal, Va
    the roof is cedar shingles.

10. tbitt

tbitt Chillin' With My Peeps