Pics of Peachicks - What sex are they?

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by NCIndiaBlue, Aug 6, 2009.

1. NCIndiaBlue

NCIndiaBlue Songster

Feb 20, 2009
    NC
    Hi, these are some of my peachicks. I have White, India Blue & BlackShoulder. I have included some pics, if anybody happens to know what their sex is, that would be great! [​IMG] They range in age from 3-4 months.

[​IMG] White Peachick 1

[​IMG] White Peachick 2

[​IMG] White Peachick 3

[​IMG] White Peachick 4

[​IMG] Black Shoulder 1

[​IMG] Black Shoulder 2

[​IMG] 2 BlackShoulders (and 2 whites & IB)

[​IMG] India Blue's

[​IMG] India Blue's

2. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    3 IB all hens. both BS males to early to tell on the whites

3. NCIndiaBlue

NCIndiaBlue Songster

Feb 20, 2009
    NC
    Quote:Thanks! That's awesome that my IB's are hens. Today was their first day on the ground (I started worming them today too)

I figured it was too early for the white's, I have seen 2 of them put their tails up, but I've read that female's do that too when they are young.

4. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Look at your pic again, your sure the two are BS, not pied??

Yes all peafowl fan, hens,and chicks at any age too, mine have as early as 2 days

5. NCIndiaBlue

NCIndiaBlue Songster

Feb 20, 2009
    NC
    Quote:I don't know for a fact that they are BS, that's just what the breeder told me they were, they less than a week old when I got them, and both were white, but their color is changing now.

6. Quote:Thanks! That's awesome that my IB's are hens. Today was their first day on the ground (I started worming them today too)

I figured it was too early for the white's, I have seen 2 of them put their tails up, but I've read that female's do that too when they are young.

You put them on the ground for one day and you are worming them? you must have some fast acting worms

Steve in NC

7. NCIndiaBlue

NCIndiaBlue Songster

Feb 20, 2009
    NC
    Quote:Thanks! That's awesome that my IB's are hens. Today was their first day on the ground (I started worming them today too)

You put them on the ground for one day and you are worming them? you must have some fast acting worms

Steve in NC

Should I have waited? This is my first time having peafowl, I am just doing what my breeder told me [​IMG]. She said to worm them once they are on the ground - and then once a month until they are 8 months old.. then every 3 months.

8. Kev

Kev Crowing

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    My guesses are same as deerman's. One of the bs does appear to have white on wing, not sure if it's the camera overexposure or not.. if these feathers are solid white, with no spotting or marking.. might be BS pied or split for white.

For the whites, when they are 5-6 months old compare them with the other colors in overall size and also look at leg and toe thickness and length. Males have longer and thicker legs/toes while females have more slender and shorter looking toes. Also check for spurs, still flat at their age however some males will show a large round scale where the spur will grow out of. Too early for this though.

Both sexes fan their tails at any time. So far only the chicks that have grabbed or mounted other birds while fanning have turned out to be males.

9. NCIndiaBlue

NCIndiaBlue Songster

Feb 20, 2009
    NC
    Quote:Thanks for the great info. I will look at the BS's closely tomorrow to see if they have white wing weathers, I know one of them has brown on their wing feathers, I'm not sure about the younger one.

Also great to know about fanning their tails, it's definitely cute to see them do it.

10. Kev

Kev Crowing

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    No problem, just am glad to see many people successfully raising peachicks to this age and beyond. [​IMG]

Yes the tail fanning is really cute.. and the way they intensely vibrate it at something that caught their attention. Even funnier is sometimes another bird will come up and take a peck at their butts causing them to do a little 'hey!' jump.. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: