1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

pics of peoples fattening pens for their boilers

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by tylerhorseman, Nov 5, 2009.

1. tylerhorseman

tylerhorseman Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2009
    Hanna, IN
    Hey i want to get some chickens to fatten up but i dont know how to build the pen idk if i should just build like a lil box with a clean out pan underneath or anther smaller coop

2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    I don't know how much room you have, but I put mine in a portable 13x7 dog kennel. That way when they make a mess I can just move it to another spot. This also allows them to eat grass and bugs and take dust baths.

3. tylerhorseman

Oct 15, 2009
    Hanna, IN
    well i live in northern indiana and its getting ready to be winter hear so thats outta the question

4. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    What I have for them when they're babies is a 4x5 pen with wire on the bottom that's about 4 feet off the ground. All the poop falls below. It's enclosed on 3 sides with wire on the side where the door is and stays pretty warm with the heat lamps. I just rake out the poo if it builds up underneath.

5. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

www.pvcplans.com

GREAT plan for a super light, easy to build tractor can be found on this site.

6. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    These won't work well for winter, but good spring, summer, fall pens.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. tylerhorseman

Oct 15, 2009
    Hanna, IN
    do they have to have room to walk around i thought about building a coop with a wire mesh floor and a clean out tray underneath with just roosts and a big feed trougfh but finding out on here thats not good i dont like keeping them locked up but the winter is coming here

8. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:It depends on what breed you're getting. I put 75 Cornish X's in a 10x10 pen, that I move twice a day. It works great. If you're talking layer or multipurpose breeds, that won't work. If you go with a tractor, you don't want a wire floor, because you'll never be able to move the darn thing when your birds get big.

9. willheveland

willheveland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    southern tier,NY
    Most broilers don't roost,and you should move them each day.Wait til spring though. JMHO Will
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 7, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by