pics of silkies please

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by bsilkie 2, Oct 15, 2014.

1. bsilkie 2

bsilkie 2 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2014
    [​IMG]

I'm interested in seeing day old chicks to age of knowing gender. Have seen many other breeds but not silkies. This is mine that was hatched 8/29/14 also have a white that is 2wks.younger. Really want to see one starting to show traits of a hen or rooster. Thx

2. TaraBellaBirds

TaraBellaBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas
    Silkies are hard to sex even close to maturity. Before 4 to 6 weeks it is hard to determine sex of even regular breeds. Sorry you will most likely have to wait until your birds are much more mature. I've heard many people say that the best way to determine the sex of a Silkie is when it crows or lays and egg!!!! Sorry I can't be of more help! It's a cutie though, enjoy them!

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Your bird is too young to tell gender on yet. I'd post more photos in at least 6 weeks. It takes a long time to tell on Silkies. Sometimes, you don't know until they "crow or lay an egg"!.

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    It is too young to tell gender with your chick. I would post new photos when it is at least 10 weeks old. Even then, we may not be able to tell--Silkies are notoriously difficult to sex.

5. 5cutechicks

5cutechicks Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2014
    Lowell Michigan
    We have 3 silkies, they are currently 6 months old, in these pictures they are only 5-6 weeks old. So far the only one we are sure of the sex is the white one his name is Pringles. He crows (if that's what you want to call the awful sounds he makes!). He also chases and pecks the other chickens, he thinks he is the one in charge!. The black silkie (Izzy) crowed 3times one afternoon after we gave it bath but haven't heard anything since and have not found any eggs yet. Still waiting on the blue silkie (Murphy)to do something, anything at all! It's so hard waiting! Good luck! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. 5cutechicks

5cutechicks Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2014
    Lowell Michigan
    Theses are what they look like now at 6 mos. Pringles (White silkie) is a roo, were still waiting for the others. People on this web site have been so helpful at guessing there sex and were right on about Pringles being a roo. Everyone thinks (Izzy). Black silkie is a hen and same with Murpy (blue silkie). [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. bsilkie 2

bsilkie 2 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2014
    It is so hard waiting thx for the pictures they are sooo cute. I have a black & a white.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by