Pics of surviving chick what the heck is it? Updated pics 2/28

WriterofWords

Has Fainting Chickens
14 Years
Dec 25, 2007
Chaparral, New Mexico
This is the surviving baby from the two orphaned eggs. It's black and silver, part Turken from the nekkid neck, but it has a fluffy silver butt, a tall silver top notch on it's head, and hairy legs! Juanita's hen looked nothing like this, I have a feeling as old as she was she was sitting on someone elses eggs! Juanita says I can keep it though and I've promised her first pick of the classroom hatch or the bantam eggs my son brought home today. That's a whole 'nuther story,, he's as bad as me or worse!
whitespots.jpg

backofheadsilverywhite.jpg

seemyneck.jpg

littlehat.jpg

hairylegcutey.jpg

fuzzywhitebutt.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Why does it look like a roo? I just barely figured out two of my chicks are roos,,, the ones from Dec 29? One tried to crow today and sounded like it was gargling with acid! Then outside two of them jumped up at each other and got all puffy.
K

Quote:
Why does it look like a roo? I just barely figured out two of my chicks are roos,,, the ones from Dec 29? One tried to crow today and sounded like it was gargling with acid! Then outside two of them jumped up at each other and got all puffy.
K

I would guess by the width of the comb on his "nose" I wouldn't put money on a roo just yet though.....

My mom saw a show on Discovery about sexing chicks at McMurray. It showed them looking at their wings and the length of the feathers as soon as they were born. I tried it,,, they all look like fuzz to me! Then she said the rest of the show was awful about packing and shipping and the "acceptable loss" rate during shipping. She was ready to get on the phone and call them about what she thinks of "acceptable loss" among owners of hatcheries.

Baby chick came to school this morning for a brief visit then my mom picked it up and took it home. Our head custodian used to raise fighting chickens and got out of it quite a long time ago, but he looked at it first thing and said "cute rooster". So I guess it's a rooster.
He took the kids looking at him very well, talked to everyone and visited about 10 classrooms and the cafeteria before going home for a rest. He'll visit again later.
The high school shop teacher volunteered to have the shop kids build a portable tractor/coop for us to have outside the classroom when it warms up. He can be kind of that roost!
K

Back
Top Bottom