Pics of the coop in winter

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ichoosehope, Jan 18, 2009.

1. ichoosehope

ichoosehope Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2008
    Southeast MI suburb
    I hear that they don't lay as much in winter but something's working cuz we're getting eggs!

We've got the coop and nesting box under the pool deck
    [​IMG]
    On the R is the nesting box and the L is the coop. Top is insulated by a wool blanket and comforter covvered by plastic to keep it warm.
    [​IMG]
    Front of coop - plexiglass for lots of light and lamp keeps water dish from freezing too fast
    [​IMG]
    Hens fit through easily
    [​IMG]
    DH came up with a good idea for heating the nesting box and it's a little warmer than the coop
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Feeder is larger hanging box. Smaller was for grit when they were younger and now is for crushed eggshells/oyster shell
    [​IMG]

2. Catalina

Catalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2007
    Minnesota
    Nice idea! [​IMG]
    You have a lot of snow too - How many chickens do you have?

3. turnerstar31

turnerstar31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    nice looking little set up you have there. They are probably laying because of the light. That usually helps them to keep laying.

4. windtryst

windtryst Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    I have that same coop for my bantys, in the winter I put newspaper down on the wire floor & 6" of shavings on top. Keeps them extra warm. Mine is inside another building.

5. Beau coop

Beau coop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    WNY
    Do your girls eat the newspaper? Does the newspaper smell more or less than pine shavings?

6. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    Geez that's a lot of snow!

Is that a heat lamp in the metal bin? Do you worry about the metal getting too hot?

7. windtryst

windtryst Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Quote:The newspaper is on the bottom and they really have never gotten to it there are so many pine shavings on top of it. Works out well for me...

8. ichoosehope

ichoosehope Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2008
    Southeast MI suburb
    Catalina - I have just two chickens - an EE and an Austrolorp.

Volume904 - I did worry about the metal getting too hot, but I kept going to check it and it's fine. I had to replace the original one that was hanging down into the box and now I keep the new lamp hung up securely out of the shredded paper.

Beau coop - with 6 inches of shavings, are you opening the top of the coop or the front door? If I open the front with that much shavings, it would fall out..

9. mmtillman

mmtillman Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow! [​IMG] Such a cozy situp in the middle of alllllll that snow!! Lucky chickens! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by