1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pics of the new Button Quail babies

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by marie_martin, Apr 20, 2008.

1. marie_martin

marie_martin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    Here are some pics I took of the new quail babies.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is one with my size 6 1/2 ring on it to show how small it truly is.

[​IMG]

And here is one next to a penny for size comparison:

[​IMG]

Hope you enjoy them.

Marie

2. thechickman04

thechickman04 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Cumming, Georgia
    its amazing how something so small can survive in the world

3. S0rcy

S0rcy Chillin' With My Peeps

That last one was SO tiny!! It's so adorable [​IMG] Good luck with your new babies, they're wonderful!

4. chickiepoo

chickiepoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2007
    coastal South Carolina
    Amazing! Thanks for posting the pictures with the ring and penny for size reference. I would never have guessed how small they are! Even though I have seen quail eggs.

5. 92caddy

92caddy Egg Lover

May 18, 2007
    Portland, IN
    gosh they r sooooo cute, I have jap quail due to hatch tuesday or wed, I cant wait to see them..........

6. JaneandLizzy

JaneandLizzy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2008
    Please excuse my ignorance, but what does one do with the quail raised?

7. mangled

mangled Chillin' With My Peeps

Okay, that's just cuteness overload!!

Em

8. marie_martin

marie_martin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    You don't really have to do anything with them. They are too tiny to eat in my opinion. I have heard some say they pickle the eggs but they are so tiny I can't imagine why you would want to. Guess they would make great appetizers though and fancy decorations if you blow the shell out. I guess the same reason you would have a parrot or parakeet?

I just think they are too cute and wanted a few. That is about it.

Marie

9. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

Oh, I agree with the person who said it was "cuteness overload"!! I am surprised at how tiny they actually are; they don't look like they'd be any bigger than baby society finches (or at least the one that flew out of the straw hanging nest our 5 had been hanging out in [​IMG] We've had them for nearly a year, so I didn't think we had a fertile pair. Guess what.... LOL! I think I'll call the baby "Surprise"! Thanks for sharing your tiny bitty babies with us!

10. S0rcy

S0rcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Marinated and pickled quail eggs are a wonderful delicacy and quail eggs are also used with some potato dishes [​IMG] I like them, but I don't know ,I think I may like those chicks better hahaha I'm such a sucker for "cute"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by