1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pics of the roosts in your coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by vjbakke, Apr 16, 2011.

1. vjbakke

vjbakke Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    We haven't added the roosts to our coop yet, not sure how we are going to do them. We have cold winters so I think they will be flat rather than rounded. I'd love to see some pics to get ideas! thanks

2. Iheartchicks<3:)

Iheartchicks<3:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    Mount Vernon, WA
    [​IMG]

3. vjbakke

vjbakke Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
  4. Iheartchicks<3:)

Iheartchicks<3:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Quote:I like those! Something like that could work for us

Im going to make a poop board son.. im thinking of just screwing two wood ledges and one plywood board pushed over it.. like a shelf kinda

5. Chook-A-Holic

Chook-A-Holic Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Central, N.C.
    I had several feet of E-Track and load bars left over from my hot-shot business. I figured that it would make a nice movable/removable roosting set-up. They work great and when I clean the coops, the bars snap right out and right back in. I screwed a 2x4 to the top of each bar to protect the birds feet from the aluminum. This however is not recommended unless you already have the E-track and bars due to the set-up being very expensive.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 16, 2011
  6. tish_matt

tish_matt Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2011
    Mass.
    Quote:Sorry for ignorence but why is round bad for cold winters? We just used thicker branches for the woods for roosts.

7. Chook-A-Holic

Chook-A-Holic Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Central, N.C.
    Chickens don't grip branches as other birds do. Also if they are roosting on a flat surface they can cover their feet with their body, thus preventing frost bite on them.

8. kimandrich

kimandrich Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Houston, Tx
    [​IMG]

9. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

Lots of pictures in the "my page" and barn/coop" links in my sig.

10. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    this is one we used when they were young, but its a great idea, they still use it some during the day and when we have youngsters they use it. They now roost on the pallet wall on the left, it was originally just a divider till they got older and I could open up and give them more room (wasnt done yet) but the like roosting on top so I left it, it only goes about half way thru the middle of the coop
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by