Pics of 'tween' birds

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ole-crone, Jun 5, 2008.

1. ole-crone

ole-crone Chillin' With My Peeps

We all love feathersite but it is lacking in what chicks look like once they start to feather out.

Perhaps we should start taking pictures of our 'tweens' and help fill this void. I'm going crazy looking at a brooker full of chicks and none seem to match breeds shown on their home hatchery sites. Eventually, they do - but I'd like to have some idea before they are full grown.

We could either start a collection of the photos here or ask to have them posted there.

If you know what you have, take their photos too! Newbies still need the help. If you don't know what you have now, even better - take their photo and save it until you know what it turned into and viola! We'll have a great resource to check and save time from looking through all of the old posts in the archives.

Guess I'll have to go find the camera...

2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    That's a good idea, and would be especially helpful if pullets and cockerels were identified. It would help those of use who do not want to post two dozen "boy or girl" pics/posts [​IMG]

Pat

3. ole-crone

Another thing that would be helpful is if someone developed a 'key'

You check the key and it gives you a list of most likely chick. Then you can go to those pictures and she which one matches yours.

For instance: You can key in what color legs, type of comb as well as color to help narrow down the choices.

I was looking at my 'obviously a Columbian Wyandotte' last night and realized that there was a single comb forming - no longer a wyandotte - perhaps a Delaware.

Certain Hatcheries have certain breeds. The first question could be Did you order from a hatchery, if so, which one. Then that could take you to a list of what breeds each hatchery offers.

It would take a little work to get it organized but in the end, I think we'd have a wonderful resource.

4. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    I think these are all great ideas since I'm going crazy with my "tween" chicks too.

5. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    I'm a newbie here and would LOVE such a resource! BTW I have taken pictures of my two chicks I currently have every Saturday as a way to document them. They are about 51/2 weeks now and one is a RIR - the other still a mystery. So if you need those - feel free to ask. I am getting some more hatching eggs on monday so I will do the same for those chicks once they hatch. Its a mixed bunch but there is supposed to be salmon favorelles and partridge silkies in there.

6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:Slightly off topic, but be aware that hatchery wyandottes often have
    some single-combed individuals among the chicks.

Pat

7. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    I was going to say the same thing about the Wyandottes.

I can contribute pics of chicks growing in RIR, Ameraucanas (blacks) and Dutch bantams.

8. ole-crone

No doubt, much like a couple of my hatchery marans have yellow legs. But with them, I knew what I ordered.

This 'wyandotte' was one of a rainbow layer assortment that I id'd by coloring alone. I was pointing out that I'd forgotten to check that comb. Guess the finished size might help with the final ID

Right now, I have 25 new chicks - Russian Orloffs, Chanteclers, Black Australorps & silkies.

9. Lobzi

Lobzi Chillin' With My Peeps

10. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    that website has some good info but is really confusing to use ( at least for me)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by