1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

pics of what the "squat" look like!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Barnmaradotte, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Barnmaradotte

Barnmaradotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    eugene
    ok so they aren't the best angle cause it happens so fast. but got them for those that want to see what it looks like.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Pickles03

Pickles03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2010
    Niagara Falls, ON
    So they will do the squat only when being pet? Or will the do the squat on their own?
    I am approaching my 5th month with these girls..I am of course DYING for my first
    egg.

thanks for posting.

3. Wildflower_VA

Wildflower_VA Chillin' With My Peeps

Those are great pictures! So cute your little one knows how to get her to squat! My girls have been squatting for a while, but today was the first time one let me pet her and scratch her back while she was in a squat. She is the Top Hen and was very bossy and independent until she started to lay two weeks ago. Ever since she is my shadow and obviously thinks I am her roo. She sticks to me like glue when I am outside and she goes with me in the coop to gather eggs, just talking up a storm.

4. Wildflower_VA

Wildflower_VA Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:They do a quick squat whenever you come up behind them. It's the same they would do if a roo was going to mount them. Today was the first time one of mine let me pet her while squating.

5. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    Those are really sweet pics, and good action shots. [​IMG]

6. Barnmaradotte

Jun 13, 2011
    eugene
    when my son gets any where near them they hit the ground. He gives a couple pets and a maybe a scratch.

7. countryroots

countryroots Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2011
    Salt Lake City
    My 10 yr old son is more anxious for eggs than I am. I showed him these pics and thought he was going to go running right out to see if the girls would "squat."

Thanks for the helpful info!

8. CathyRN

CathyRN Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2010
    Sevier County, TN
    OMG so cute !!! my girls squat when we reach our hand out and say "wanna pet?"....they are too cute. you have beautiful birds.

9. Barnmaradotte

Jun 13, 2011
    eugene
    thanks. those 2 are my mutt grade barnevelders but they are pretty. I will try to get a picture of the slw squat because of the light colored wings it would be easier to see.

10. SIMPleChick

SIMPleChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Utah
    Great pics!!! I'll ruffle their behinds and they love it! LOL!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by