Pics of what you may come across when candling eggs!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ThePolishPrincess, Feb 2, 2009.

1. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Not my site, and certainly nothing to do with me, but I find that many people aren't sure what to look for when candling their eggs. Sometimes these bacteria filled eggs will spread to others and the whole bunch can get wiped out. Other times new candlers will think something is wrong and dispose of their eggs when everything is really going smoothly.

This site has helped me along the way and I hope you also benifit from it's being here.

Good hatching, everyone! [​IMG]

http://shilala.homestead.com/candling.html

NOTE: The link seems to be tempermental on my computer so if it doesn't work, hit the back button and click the link again. Sorry for the possible confusion!

2. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Thank you for the link. I am on my first hatch and did not really know what I was looking for! I printed this page out. Candled and guess what... I have 5 babies coming!

3. mudderhen

mudderhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Clarkesville, GA
    I looked at the site and it is very informative. I have candled several times, and sometimes I still second guess myself sometimes. I only have a little flashlight and it is fine for brown eggs, butt I can't see anything from my EE eggs. I will see if I can get my husband to build that big candler so I can see better. Thanks for the info!

4. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    My DH did build that candler. It works great! However I still had a hard time seeing into my green EE eggs. I could see so-so but the others I just left in the incubator because I could not see a thing.

5. L*A*G*

L*A*G* Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    planet chicken
    Thanks that was helpful. and thanks for sharing.

6. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

No problem, everyone. I'm glad you all find it useful. [​IMG] We don't hatch eggs very often at all, but when we do, it makes all the difference.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by