*PICS post 11* Single Hen- add 1or2 new friends?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by kristamarie, Nov 25, 2011.

1. kristamarie

kristamarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2011
    So I started off with 3 hens, and have only had 1 for months now. Her sisters were picked up by animal control at about point of lay. She has been a happy fulfilled chicken, free ranging in the yard, gorging herself on table scraps and chasing the dogs around the yard like one of the gang. Its getting colder and I'm starting to worry about how warm she will be by her lonesome in the coop, as well as boredom during stormy weather. I work at an aviary and I have my choice of 5 new hens for companionship.

My question is- would it be better to add just 1 new (younger) hen or 2? would my Henny maybe be nicer to the youngins if they outnumber her?
    There isn't enough room in the coop for more than 3 Hens to live comfortably.
    Thanks for any input!

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  2. TinkyFeathers

TinkyFeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2011
    I guess I don't know the correct answer but when my hen was lonely after her flock had been killed, I bought her two red stars and everything went great from there [​IMG]

3. kristamarie

Apr 5, 2011
    Good to know Tinkyfeathers, thanks [​IMG]

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Adding a pair is usually reccomended, especially if you have more than one you are adding too. That said, adding one to one isn't as big of a deal as adding one among a group of established girls. Chickens can be brutal!

5. BWchicken

BWchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Texas
    She needs a couple friends, chickens are flock animals so they generally don't like being alone. I'd get two if they can be comfortable in the space you have. But if not, then just adding one would be fine. And you're right, they will need each other for warmth during cold winter. When you introduce them, watch closely for a couple days to make sure the squabbling isn't too bad. They may fight some right at first so make sure the new hens are about the same size as Henny because a large hen can easily injure a smaller one during that first squabble. They'll get used to each other quickly, but they may be quite crabby with one another when first introduced. After that, they'll likely become fast friends.

I don't mean to pry, but how is it that animal control got your hens and can you avoid that happening again? I bet you were mad that they just took your chickens! Did you try to get them back? I thought animal control had to give them back if the owner came for them. Anyway, good luck and when you get the new ones, be sure to post pictures of Henny and her new friends!

Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
  6. guignol

guignol Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2011
    Lyon
    instead of starting a new thread for my question, this seems to be a fitting place for it: i just read in a magazine article that you should avoid having just two chickens because they'll fight.

the chickens we'll be getting will be "adopted" from an egg farm (they get rid of their chickens after 70 weeks to keep production high) so they'll be adult and inured to crowded conditions. they'll have a 1 sq. m. coop and an 8 sq. m. run. any advice?

7. kristamarie

Apr 5, 2011
    Thanks for the great input, perhaps I will get her the 2 new friends.

BWchicken, I lost my 2 other hens to Animal Control because I live in a city that doesn't allow chickens. I was at a hockey tournament and had locked the girls in the coop. When we got home the neighbours told me they saw the girls walking down the sidewalk. Henny stayed in the yard, Nellie and Beatrice went on an adventure and someone called Animal Control and they were picked up. We are thinking it was possibly a kid who thought it would be funny to let them out since 2 latches on the coop were opened and the side gate to our yard was also opened [​IMG], all of which now have locks. Hard lesson learned. I tried to get them back but they informed me they were 'immediately adopted out' since they don't have the facilities to accommodate chickens and since the hens were found where hens are not allowed.

I will certainly post pictures of the new additions [​IMG]

8. BWchicken

Jun 4, 2009
    Texas
    Quote:Oh no that is so sad. But at least they were adopted and not... well you know. That kid needs a good talking to if he did that. [​IMG]

9. BWchicken

Jun 4, 2009
    Texas
    Quote:Your coop - is that right, one square meter? How many are you planning to keep in there? Actually, don't answer that here, please do start a new thread, we don't want to take attention away from this thread's original poster and very few will find your post in this thread anyway. In your new thread, include what you wrote here and let us know how many chickens you are planning to get, and what your plans are, etc. The more info we have, the better. Many here have rescued/adopted battery hens and can help you a lot! Good luck!

Oh and [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 27, 2011
  10. guignol

guignol Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2011
    Lyon
    thank you for the advice. i'm always hesitant to start a thread because there are already so many, but i realize you're right; this question is different enough to merit one, and i have already searched enough to think i'm not creating a doppelganger..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by