(PICS)??Purebred silkies from Ideal??(PICS)

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by silkieluver_07, Apr 17, 2008.

1. silkieluver_07

silkieluver_07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Our 21 chicks came this morning at the post office from Ideal! Some of our silkies though seem questionable on being purebreed. I read that Ideal guarantees purebreed poultry but may not be up to show quality. I'm okay with that.

My red silkie has only one toe in the back instead of two toes. My self-blue silkies feet are black then fade to white. And last my buff silkie has white skin instead of black skin. Does this mean they are not purebred? I will try to get pics of them up tomorrow.

Also, do you think I should call Ideal or let it go?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2008
  2. Crazy4GameCocks

Crazy4GameCocks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    i would say not pure all my have dark skin and two toes in back so I dont think they r pure hope someone who knows more can answer
    I like to know to cause I was going to order some from there too

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I got a small bunch from there. Some are light skinned and most don't have very good foot or head feathering, however, they are just pet quality pets to me. One even has a single comb, a recessive trait. It is possible for them to be lacking their 5th toe too. Just not show quality breeding, that's all. I personally would let it go, but you can call them up and ask. They may be able to reimburse you, but I bet they are just far far from show quality.

4. silkieluver_07

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    The other 7 are fine. It's just these three. I have no clue why the one has white skin. ????[​IMG]

5. silkieluver_07

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Just saw silkiechickens reply...I'm going to let it go....its only 3 chicks....

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Could have been a throw back gene. I have a "reject" rooster from show quality lines and he's got black black skin!!! However, all my pet quality ones look pale, with more grey skin. White skin... could be throw back genes. I think to get the color buff, they had to cross breed them back to a buff bird at some point in time too.

7. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Missing toes does not mean the bird is not pure. It's hard getting Silkies with perfect feet...lol...trust me!

I have no idea about lavenders (the self-blues), I've never bred them and I don't even think I've seen a Lavender in person. So I couldn't begin to tell you what they are supposed to look like as chicks.

White skin, though, shouldn't happen, but neither should albino white tail deer. She may not be pure, but she could also be a freak of nature.

I don't think I would bother calling Ideal. You knowingly bought pet quality Silkies and that's what you got. Just enjoy them and have fun. [​IMG]

8. silkieluver_07

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Yep, we ordered buff orphingtons from ideal with them and when i picked him/her up for the first time...i thought it was a buff orphington!!![​IMG]

9. silkieluver_07

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Thank you all! I think I'm going to bed now. I had a tough day.[​IMG]

10. Sharisr32

Sharisr32 Egg Killer ;)

Jan 14, 2007
    OH/PA Boarder
    I want to know when you ordered that you got the Self- Blues

I am on a waiting list for 2009 ---

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by