1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

pics r in for the RIR with limp & bump

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PAchickenlover, Jun 30, 2011.

1. PAchickenlover

PAchickenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    [​IMG][​IMG] Well here finallly are the pics of Red's leg. I hope someone can figure this out. I'm puzzled:confused:

2. PAchickenlover

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    Red is still limping, not getting around much anymore. She is only a year old and one of my best layers, however she has not laid in a couple of days now. The red bump is just below her ankle and above her foot. She is still the only chicken in my flock that is panting. Please doesn't anyone have any ideas? She is also our nicest chicken!!!

3. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Her legs in general do not look healthy. They are way too scaly and probably have mites. The reddened area appears to be an abscess. If it is, the infection can get into the bone which can result in osteomyelitis which can be fatal. An abscess may be treated with antibiotics or may need to be lanced and pus expressed. The procedure, if necessary, needs to be carried out by a veterinarian. Good luck.

4. PAchickenlover

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    Yes we have been fighting off leg mites with her as well as trying to figure out what is going on with her leg. She has been limping around our yard for a month or so with no outworthy signs until recently.

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:From the pics, it's not bumblefoot. Leg mites can eat right through their leg and cause infection to set in. I recommend you put 'Nu-Stock' on her leg to treat the mites. For an antibiotic I recommend using Penicillin G procaine 300,000 IU, use 1/2cc-3/4cc injected into her breast for no more than 4 days. Here's a link: Post #2...scroll towards the bottom. Good luck.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=352701

6. PAchickenlover

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    Ok, I gave her the first injection of pennacillin. Took the water out got to get her some clean water, had oral antibiotics in it. just put them in the water about two hours ago. So now I put neosporin on the wound and peotolium jelly on the rest of her legs right? To get rid of the leg mites....... I don't have vassaline... I do have mineral oil, vegetable oil, and sunflower oil though. Will any of this stuff help to kill the leg mites?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by