1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

PICS...Tumor? or Injury? Please help with treatment advice.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jessie66, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Jessie66

Jessie66 Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2011
    Prince George, BC
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    So I was wondering if anyone has seen such a thing before? It is hard but not like a scab, it's more like a mass of tight tissue. She constantly pecks at it. I don't think it was ever an injury. She is still eating ok, although she is not quite herself. She sometimes lifts her one leg really high, I assume because the mass is more on that side. I gave her a nice warm bath, blowdry, put a gauze with Neosporin on it and this handy dandy contraption I bought at the dollar store. It is a little dog jacket worn upside down. Hope it will stay on ok and help her to stop picking at it. I also have her on Penn G. But might stop as it isn't really infected at all? There is no oozy stuff or heat...just a dry, red, hard mass. Any ideas?

2. Jessie66

Jessie66 Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2011
    Prince George, BC
    Could this have been caused by her picking and eating her own feathers? Since I have put on her jacket, she has pulled out and eaten the feathers on her legs. Is that from lack of something?

3. salt and pepper

salt and pepper Chillin' With My Peeps

if she is eating her feathers, then it is most likely a lack of protein. hope it gets better!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by