[PICS] UPDATED: Chickens have mites, what about my bunnies?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DementedHam, Jun 6, 2008.

1. DementedHam

DementedHam Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Southern California
    I have a miniature rooster that has a human version of the flu. He has mucus in his little nose, he isn't singing, sometimes I can hear the mucus in his throat but when I open his beak enough to get a good look it is clear of mucus or any other obstructions. He has had it for two weeks. I did not pay much attention to it because it started off as sneezing and previously one of my standard hens had been sneezing aswell but it only lasted three days with her so I thought it would go away.

Also, I have a pullet that hatched out some chicks about a week ago and around the time she was on the nest to when the little chicks hatched she began to develop a strange skin thing around her eyes. It looks as if though her skin was dry and either the small feathers in the area fell out or she scratched herself to the point where she has slight and small scabs in the area. This condition IS being passed on to the little chicks and that is really bugging me. The mother and all her children are fine, active, alive but I'm concerned about the actual condition and it's effects. I have pictures of the chicks and I am going to try to upload them soon.

I would like to know what each disease is, how they may have gotten it, how to make it go away, and what I can do to prevent it from happening again. Their coop is clean, I clean the poop from it on the weekends, and they always have access to food and water.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT:

[​IMG]
    As you can see, the area has no down, I don't know if it fell or if the chick scratched it off.

[​IMG]
    Same chick, other side.

[​IMG]
    Another chick.

[​IMG]
    This is the only boy of the bunch and I THINK he has it on his comb a little.

[​IMG]
    The other side of him.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2008
  2. Dodgegal79

Dodgegal79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2007
    Princeton BC Canada
    You may want to send on to a vet and have it tested, it doesn't sound good, especially if it is being transmitted.

3. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    please post pics and I think you do need some intervention but am not sure what

4. sammi

sammi Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2007
    Southeast USA
    most likely the skin problem is mites..and they are pecking at the mites causing sores.
    as long as they see blood spots or sores, they will peck...so do clean the sores.

you can get treatment for the mites at pet stores that sell birds..or online at exotic bird supply sites...products for scabby face or Scaley face..
    in the meantime..you can use a Q-tip and a little antibiotic ointment on sores, or vaseline or olive oil on other places.and dab it on to help smother the mites.
    you can try a poultry dust..but it might not be safe on the chicks..and you wouldn't want them to breath it in..so be careful if you use it..especially around eyes and ears.
    some products are Sevin garden/livestock dust
    or poultry dust with permathrin.

however...observe your birds..for spots on combs..(Pox)
    if you see this..post back..

the bantam rooster: a little Apple cider vinegar in the drinking water will help cut the mucus. (2 tablespoons per gallon of water)

what bedding are you using?
    have they been exposed to any dusts (such as lawn/garden sprays)..
    has the coop been cleaned recently to remove ammonia, dusts and dander?
    what ALL do you feed?

could be a reaction to dusts
    could be a diet deficiency
    could be respiratory illness..
    do you have any antibiotics on hand?
    Tylan 50 injectible is a good antibiotic for respiratory illness..
    available at farm/feed/livestock supply stores in the livestock section.
    you'll need 1cc syringes and 25 gauge needles.
    can be given IM (muscle shot) SQ (skin shot..best for a bantam)..or orally..
    Tylan also comes in water soluble powder to put in drinking water.

another antibiotic is Ery-mycin (erythromycin) ..given in drinking water
    or LS-50 given in drinking water.

I personally prefer Tylan.

give all your birds poultry or chick vitamins.

others here might have different opinion.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2008
  5. DementedHam

May 23, 2007
    Southern California
    Thank You for the help.

Quote:Chicken fleas/mites can cause scabby faces? I did not know.
    At what age can I give the chicks an anti-mite dust bath so they don't die?

When I mow the lawn I throw the grass in the coop so the chickens can scratch and eat it and a few days late I will throw it away. For bedding in the nest boxes I have dried pine. No chemicals though, they haven't come in contact with any. I feed them cracked corn, occasional veggie treats and they have calcium at their disposal.

6. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    I agree with sammi on the tylan50 injectible for your roo... (dont worry bout a chicken catching a human cold or flu bug...this is not going to happen)
    You need to treat your housing and coop for mites also. Remove ALL bedding material (incl water and feed sources) and ensure your birds are well away from the area and use a permethrin or pyrethrin spray to treat.... replace the old bedding/litter with new. This is necessary to ensure your birds are not reinfested.

When I mow the lawn I throw the grass in the coop so the chickens can scratch and eat it and a few days late I will throw it away. For bedding in the nest boxes I have dried pine. No chemicals though, they haven't come in contact with any. I feed them cracked corn, occasional veggie treats and they have calcium at their disposal.

Do not use lawn clippings around your birds...they are too long and are the major cause of crop impactions... when birds free range they nip off just the tiniest bit of the top of young grass shoots..long fibrous grass clippings (even if you think they are short they are long compared to the size of what the birds nip off when ranging) WILL and do cause a knotted mass to be formed in the crop which leads to the contents not being moved through to the stomach where true digestion and absorption of nutrients takes place (the crop is simply a storage pouch). calcium is only necessary for birds of egglaying age...offering oyster shell free choice is what I assume you mean?
    Cracked corn (scratch) is a treat and should be offered sparingly... and not at all in hot weather.​

7. sammi

sammi Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2007
    Southeast USA
    the face condition is also known as Scaley Face..similar to Scaley Leg.

sorry to have confused you.

treat as I posted..just being extremely careful to not overuse.
    and as dlhunicorn suggested..
    if there are mites on the chickens..there are mites in the coop and bedding, including the nest boxes.

you might try dusting them using a small brush, such as an old toothbrush to get it on the skin, brushing off excess.

when you say white pine for the bedding in nest boxes..
    is this a commercial bedding?
    or homemade?
    is it dusty? is it clean?(no bugs)

you might consider getting some commercial pine shavings from feed/farm stores..
    it comes in large compressed bags, and is clean and not dusty..

and I definitely agree with dlh about the cut grass...
    when chickens peck at grass..they "nip" the tops..
    cut grass can be long strands..and invitation to crop impaction since they can roll into a ball around a bit of food in the crop, and get larger and larger as they eat.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2008
  8. DementedHam

May 23, 2007
    Southern California
    THE UPDATE:

Thank you for the help, you guys were right. I bought some mite dust [Permethrin based].

NEW question though............can the bunnies get the same lice because they are always in close contact with the chickens. Either way, what can I use to kill their lice/mites if they have any?

THANK YOU!

Last edited: Jun 7, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by