(Pics Updated!)Newbie Chicken Coop Project (pics)

jakeolsen2219

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 8, 2009
Pekin, il
Well, I decided it was getting about that time that I needed to starting getting a coop going. I really liked a design that I found in the designs page, so I decided to go with it an make a few changes. I am looking to have 1 red star, 2 RIR's, and 1 Barred Rock. My wife is trying real hard for me to let her have a silkie or two, but I may build those their own coop if I end up giving in. She has given me basically a $0 budget to construct this, so luckily I have been able to find a lot of scrap wood, and have so far only paid for the wire.

This is the basic base and platform that the coop will be constructed on:
coopfront1.jpg

At the end of day one I was basically at this point. I have the under run, run door, and chicken wire all in place. I am still in the planning stage for the full run, but I'm sure I'll find a way to fit it in. I put the chicks out for about a half an hour so that I could at least feel like I accomplished something:
coopfront2.jpg

Finally this is a picture of the run door. It will have a lock when it is finished, and it makes getting in or cleaning the under run a lot easier (I tested it
wink.png
):
coopdoor.jpg

Hopefully I will be able to get the coop itself started later this week so that I don't have to keep carting the chicks in and out. I'll keep posting pics as I go, please let me know if you think I'm making any major boo boo's.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
a $0 budget does make it tricky .. you've got a great start .. cant wait to see what you create .. thanks for sharing ..

Looks a lot like mine did when I started. I don't like plans, so I kind of designed as I went. I don't think I'll win the coop contest, but it was a lot of fun. I can't wait to see how you finish it.

Looks great so far. Can't wait to see it progress. And, i understand about the "chick carting". i am always getting more chickens before i have a place to put them, so always toting them from one temporary spot to the next until they finally have permanent digs.
roll.png
On the plus side, your chicks will bond with you more from all that personal touch.
smile.png

Great Start! I think that the "learn-by-doing" method is pretty effective.

Isn't it funny---when you have 2 people working on a project, one wants to spend more money on it (ME) and the other wants to spend as little as possible (DH)!
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom