(Pics Updated!)Newbie Chicken Coop Project (pics)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jakeolsen2219, May 18, 2009.

1. jakeolsen2219

jakeolsen2219 In the Brooder

May 8, 2009
    Pekin, il
    Well, I decided it was getting about that time that I needed to starting getting a coop going. I really liked a design that I found in the designs page, so I decided to go with it an make a few changes. I am looking to have 1 red star, 2 RIR's, and 1 Barred Rock. My wife is trying real hard for me to let her have a silkie or two, but I may build those their own coop if I end up giving in. She has given me basically a $0 budget to construct this, so luckily I have been able to find a lot of scrap wood, and have so far only paid for the wire.

This is the basic base and platform that the coop will be constructed on:
    [​IMG]

At the end of day one I was basically at this point. I have the under run, run door, and chicken wire all in place. I am still in the planning stage for the full run, but I'm sure I'll find a way to fit it in. I put the chicks out for about a half an hour so that I could at least feel like I accomplished something:
    [​IMG]

Finally this is a picture of the run door. It will have a lock when it is finished, and it makes getting in or cleaning the under run a lot easier (I tested it [​IMG] ):
    [​IMG]

Hopefully I will be able to get the coop itself started later this week so that I don't have to keep carting the chicks in and out. I'll keep posting pics as I go, please let me know if you think I'm making any major boo boo's. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 25, 2009

2. kick'n chick'n

kick'n chick'n Songster

Nov 18, 2008
    tennessee
    looks like a great start!![​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2009
  3. Omran

Omran Songster

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    That is a fantastic start, good for you, and hey please post more pictures for us when finished.

4. lunkerchicken

lunkerchicken Songster

Nice coop and run - keep us posted on updates and keep the pics coming!
    [​IMG]

5. Maryallison

Maryallison Songster

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    good job! Your wife sounds like me.....I want the cool coop with 0 money invested! [​IMG] I guess I am learning it does take a little money though. [​IMG]

6. Suburban chick farmer 09

Suburban chick farmer 09 Songster

Feb 21, 2009
    St. Louis MO
    Nice start, make sure you keep the pics coming.

7. chills

chills In the Brooder

Apr 7, 2009
    a $0 budget does make it tricky .. you've got a great start .. cant wait to see what you create .. thanks for sharing ..

8. Rusty's Ranch

Rusty's Ranch Songster

Mar 25, 2009
    So Cal
    Looks a lot like mine did when I started. I don't like plans, so I kind of designed as I went. I don't think I'll win the coop contest, but it was a lot of fun. I can't wait to see how you finish it.

9. Looks great so far. Can't wait to see it progress. And, i understand about the "chick carting". i am always getting more chickens before i have a place to put them, so always toting them from one temporary spot to the next until they finally have permanent digs. [​IMG] On the plus side, your chicks will bond with you more from all that personal touch. [​IMG]

10. ducks4you

ducks4you Songster

Jan 20, 2009
    East Central Illinois
    Great Start! I think that the "learn-by-doing" method is pretty effective.

Isn't it funny---when you have 2 people working on a project, one wants to spend more money on it (ME) and the other wants to spend as little as possible (DH)! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by