1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

:Pics: Waiting for eggs. Soon? Update::We finally got a first egg!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mordarlar, Oct 27, 2010.

1. mordarlar

mordarlar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2010
    We've been waiting for what seems like an eternity.

[​IMG]

The lady on the right is the one we think will go first. Any guesses on how much longer our wait may be?

Thanks.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
  2. ghulst

ghulst Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Zeeland Michigan
    How old are they? Most Buff Orpintons lay at about 22weeks. I would gues about 3 weeks.

3. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    dont worry. they will when you least except it.. [​IMG]

4. ryanhodapp

ryanhodapp Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    St. Louis
    My BO looks about like yours on the left. 3 weeks would be wonderful.

5. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Do they have any of the tell tale behaviors? Visiting the nest box, squatting, practicing the egg song? My BO was the first of my 4 to lay, even though her comb was not as big or as red as my BR.

6. ryanhodapp

ryanhodapp Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    St. Louis
    I am not home enough to see if mine are visiting the nesting box I spent more time with them on Sat, but my flock is pretty quiet except for my RIR (who is 30 weeks old and not laying).

7. sherapy

sherapy New Egg

Oct 28, 2010
    My two Rhode Island Reds (Hennie and Penny) along with one Black Australorp (Jenny) still haven't given me any eggs and they are all around 28 weeks. My daughter's chicks of the same bunch have been busy for at least a month now. [​IMG]

8. mordarlar

May 17, 2010
    ghulst, i believe they are about 26 weeks. I got them in early June and they were around 4 weeks old.

annie3001, ; ) Isn't that always the way. ::sigh::

ryanhodapp, You'll have to let me know when your's lays. : )

Yay Chicks!, I *thought* maybe she was squatting yesterday and i definitely saw her under a tree gathering feathers and dried grass around her like my older hen does when she is in the nest box. Problem is, i'm not quite sure what a true squat looks like and i haven't really heard an egg song from her. The other pullets seem to be making more noise and hanging closer to her side though. Not sure if that means anything. : )

9. mordarlar

May 17, 2010
    Quote:So a couple more weeks likely. I can wait a little longer...i suppose. : )

10. In His Service

In His Service Wise Men Still Seek Him

Apr 25, 2010
    Catskills
    We just got our first egg from our BO's 4 days ago. [​IMG] They were born June 1st.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by