PICS/Why two Leghorns r RED and one is BROWN? Are they something else?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jacobcbass, Jul 26, 2010.

1. jacobcbass

jacobcbass New Egg

Jun 11, 2010
    I purchased 3 brown Leghorns. 2 looked red which I thought would be "DarkBrowns" and one was brown which I though was probably a "LightBrown". The more I get to looking at them as they age the red birds seem way to RED. They are now 12 weeks and the reds look way different than the brown one. Thought maybe the brown could be a rooster. It's bigger, has saddle feathers(they are round though) and more red in it's comb. It looks just like pics I've seen of LightBrown Leghorn Pullets. Just can't find any pics of Leghorns that look like my RED birds. Help me out, Are they Leghorns or NHR, maybe Sexlinks or RIR, I don't know, please help.

The red at 3 weeks
    [​IMG]

The brown at 3 weeks
    [​IMG]

The red now at 12 weeks
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The brown now at 12 weeks
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

together
    [​IMG]

One more of the red
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  2. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    The red one is not a leghorn, it's probably a production red (RIR). They can start out chipmunk patterned on occasion.

3. jacobcbass

jacobcbass New Egg

Jun 11, 2010
    It never was Chipmunk colored. It was red at 3weeks in the first picture, started off a Buff colored chick and feathered into Red. I know I will know once eggs start to fall. Just curious if others are getting "Brown" Leghorns in this Red coloring. Probably is a Prodution Red. They were sold as Brown Leghorns and 50% of them were Buff/Red colored and 50% of them were Chipmunk colored. I grab a couple of each thinking it was just different Dark and Light Brown Leghorns [​IMG]. The fan tail, the flightiness, the slender fame, all scream "Leghorn" to me, the coloring says "somethings not right". Thanks for the reply.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by