1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pictorial Tribute to My Older Girls (Sorry DialUps!)

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by speckledhen, Dec 27, 2007.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I don't take lots of pics of my older girls, the original girls, much anymore. They are 2 yrs old and consist of 2 Buff Orps, 3 RIRs and 3 Silver Laced Wyandottes, one with a single comb, plus the BR girls, Lexie and Ivy, who are a couple months younger. Many of them are coming out of their molt, some are still in it (poor naked Lexie!) and some are coated with that tenacious Georgia red clay dirt in their white feathers. After my 10 originals, I have the three Poufy-Head Sisters, Meg the RIR/Buff Orp cross and two younger Barred Rock girls, Becca and Amanda, who are about to turn a year old on February 1. These comprise my wonderful laying flock.
    I love my girls! They are the best, full of personality, each unique and every one a fantastic layer, even goofy defective RIR Rosemary. I still have all of the ones I started with, raised from a couple of days old, a miracle considering this predator-dense area. So, here are the girls today, old and younger, too. Excuse the red dirt and poor plucked Hawkeye-Olivia thinks his saddle area is her personal buffet so he looks quite bedraggled.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Corey NC

Corey NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    North Carolina
    aww I love sweet meg, she is such a camera hog. do you know if that breeder still has the orps and rirs together? If so I might just have to get me some eggs.

3. Crazy4Chicks

Crazy4Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    Wow - what great looking birds you have -
    love mixed flocks

Julie

4. speckledhen

Corey, she doesn't have them that way anymore for hatching eggs or I'd probably get some. Meg is a trip! She just glows in the sun with that golden red color and DH loves her so much, he wanted more of her.

5. Cheryl

Cheryl Chillin' With My Peeps

Thank you for sharing, great pics!

6. speckledhen

Thanks, Cheryl. Sometimes I feel like I slight my older girls by concentrating the pics on the younger ones, but my older girls are the ones that taught me most everything I know. And my beautiful Sunny gave me my first broody hen experience. I'd love 50 more just like her! They're very special girls, every one of them.

7. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    Love your pictures. Are they standing on your deck waiting for you? That is so amazing.

8. speckledhen

Yep, they do wait for us to come outside sometimes or to come back if we go off into the woods. If my husband lays in the hammock, they all gather underneath it and a couple will jump up there with him. Here's a pic from the summer of just that:
    [​IMG]

9. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

I always love your pictures! Your girls are so fat and happy. [​IMG]

10. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Dial up schmile up! It was worth the wait and I just told me son to get busy on the coop out back! Your gals are gorgeous, I can hardly wait to show my students when school starts back up.
    Kate

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by