picture added....is this a rooster????

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bangor777, May 9, 2008.

1. bangor777

bangor777 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Hi Guys,
    Two questions: One is my light brahma has two toes that are fused/webbed. I did search this topic and saw that some people recommend cutting the fusing. The thing is that this little chick is not bothered at all by the condition...She walks and roosts just fine and I notice she is one of the most dominant chicks in the brooder (so she's not being picked on) I would much rather just leave her the way she is...anyone with any experience on this? The second question is regarding my one rhode island red. She has a pronounced red comb coming in at 2 weeks of age. I notice the other chicks (which are other breeds) do not have this. Is this a sign that she is a he? Other than that my sweeties are all doing great! I can't wait till next friday when the next batch comes in (so addicted already!)
    Lori

Last edited: May 9, 2008
  2. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    I am not too sure about the webbed part.

The comb if it is much larger than the others then it is probably a Roo.
    Can you post a pic?

3. bangor777

May 4, 2008
    I'll try....I'm notoriously bad at picture posting!

4. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

At 2 weeks, that's a male.

5. bangor777

May 4, 2008
    OK, I've tried and tried to post a picture but I'm just thick headed I guess. Its not much of a comb, but its obviously there, and none of the others have it like this. I don't mind if she's a he, we wanted a rooster anyway. I'll just have to think of a good boy name for her/him. [​IMG]

6. bangor777

May 4, 2008
    Last edited: May 9, 2008
  7. carol0710

carol0710 Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2008
    Toano,Va
    I have the same question. I ahve 6 cookoo Marans one's comb has started to turn red while the rest has not. Is this a Rooster?[​IMG]

8. bangor777

May 4, 2008
    OK, thanks i"ll try that!

9. ChicknThief

ChicknThief Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    Nor Cal
    About the webbing: A few weeks ago I had a Showgirl born like that. Hers was very bad, and the longer toe was curled so that the tips of the two toes were fused together as well. I got a pair of VERY sharp scissors and snipped the webbing. Her toe didn't ever straighten, but she can move around normally now. If you choose to do this, I suggest having some stipdic (sp) on hand. If you don't have that you can use either corn starch or flour. They both work fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by