picture journey of my goose egg incubation AWESOME! ALL PICS IN FIRST POST! Easy to see!

jenlynn4

Songster
13 Years
Jan 12, 2007
PA
OK just thought it would be neat to photograph the eggs as they go along and post the progress for all to see...It may help others out along the way sometime... My eggs were set on Tuesday 4-24-12 at 9 am... Tempature has been 37.3 c (99.1 f) and humidity has been running at 30% - 40% temps and humidity have been very steady... I am hand turning the eggs 180 degrees by hand once a day and then tilting my whole incubator 6 times a day. I will begin misting and cooling for 10 minutes on day 5.

EGGS ARE SEBASTOPOL/TOULOUSE CROSS-PICKED UP FROM A BREEDER 1 HOUR FROM MY HOME (NOT SHIPPED)

FIRST TIME INCUBATEING GOOSE EGGS!

12 YEARS EXPERIENCE WITH CHICKEN EGGS.

HATCHED BLACK EAST INDY DUCKS ONCE WITH 50% SUCCESS (SHIPPED EGGS) A LONG LONG TIME AGO.

OK decided to post pics of my supplies so this can be even more informational:

TEMP HOLDING STEADY AT 37.3 CELCIUS AND HUMIDITY RUNS ABOUT 32-38% (VERY ACCURATE THERMOMITORS)

AND HERE IS MY MISTING BOTTLE! HAD TO MAKE IT OFFICIAL LOOKING! LOL (boiled water for 5 minutes and then let it cool before pouring it into the bottle) washed bottle thoroughly and misted water through sprayer for about 10 minutes before adding the steralized water. This bottle was pet deoderant spray 100% natural and no chemicals thoroughly washed and cleaned with water/dish soap and a couple drops of bleach. Rinsed extremely well.

Here are the eggs on day one when I set them:

Here are the eggs when candleing on 4-28-12 at 9 am:

some are harder to see in the pics than others but I could see them all pretty clearly with my eyes.

Here is the progress of the air cell so far:

I will add more pics as I go along!!! Keep watching every few days! :)

ok here they are on day 6:

HERES MY UPDATE FOR DAY 11...I REALLY HOPE THIS WORKS!

MY MOM SAID SHE COULDNT SEE THE MOVEMENT ON HER SCREEN BUT I CAN ON MINE?

OK HERE ARE PICS OF THE EGGS ON DAY 14! I WILL CANDLE AGAIN ON DAY 21...

EGG 1

EGG 2:

EGG 3:

EGG 4:

EGG 5:

EGG 6:

AND HERE IS THE AIRCELL ON DAY 14:

I THINK EVERYTHING IS LOOKING GOOD SO FAR, BUT THIS IS MY FIRST TIME SO I AM JUST GOING BY WHAT I HAVE READ. I AM HOPEFUL THAT I AM DOING EVERYTHING CORRECTLY AND THIS COMES OUT WITH A HAPPY ENDING!

OK here is my last entry before they hatch! (hopefully they hatch anyhow) This is day 25.. not much to see but here they are:

Egg 1

Egg 2:

Egg 3:

Egg 4:

Egg 5:

Egg 6:

I hope to be posting internal pipping, external pipping, and hatching photos next!!!! Wish me luck!

OH and this is how I positioned them for the last few days. I raised the air cell end up a bit.

In this pictured (day 25) you can see that the air cell has dropped in all eggs except egg #4:

Lets hope egg 4 catches up to the rest tomorrow! I'll update again as soon as I see the first internal pip!

OK now heres some good stuff!!!! Here is the progress on the hatch so far:

INTERNAL PIP DAY 27: (PICK TAKEN THE FOLLOWING DAY 28)
~This egg externally pipped 1 minute after this pic was taken!!!~

3 EGGS ARE EXTERNALLY PIPPED! #2, 3, & 6! 1 MORE IS INTERNALLY PIPPED AND THE LAST 2 ARE DEFINATELY STILL ALIVE AND MOVEING. I AM OFFICIALLY ON LOCKDOWN NOW SO NO MORE CANDLEING I HOPE THEY PROGRESS NORMALLY!

(EGG 3 & 6) Egg 6 is the one from above about 2 minutes later! (the one on the bottom)

(EGG 2)

DO YOU SEE WHAT I SEE!!!! LOL DAY 28 9:30pm

ITS NOW 6:35 AM ON DAY 29 AND THIS IS WHAT I WOKE UP TO THIS MORNING!!! (at least I can see them now)

and here is a still pic if you dont want to look at the video or it doesnt work:

I really upped the humidity now by putting very warm water in on my wash cloth...that is condensation on the front of the bator you can see in the pics...humidity was about 65% now it is about 80% I hope they make it! I think egg #1 has no hope but the other 5 definately do (I think any how) I'm going to watch them closely and if it looks like they are trying to rotate and cant then I will have to decide weather to assist or not but I am hopeing they can progress on thier own. Looks like I may end up with 5 goslings hopefully. 3 look dark and 2 look white from waht I can see in the little holes they made!!!! :)

OK Here is the picture trail of the first gosling to hatch...#2 hatched about 5 minutes later and is in the last pic with the first one.

Here is a neat video I think you all will enjoy! This is egg #5 the 4th gosling to hatch:

(dont mind the loud beep twords the end that was my phone telling me my battery was low..I had to plug it in for part #2)

Part #1:

Part #2:

Here they are getting all dried off and fuzzy! :

Last edited:
awesome! I see you are in PA also! I am in NW PA way up on the lake near Erie...Where are you located? I'm so happy to have others trying this at the same time as I am.

I'm just outside of Hershey, PA :) Near Harrisburg. What breed of geese are you incubating? Four of my goose eggs are Pilgrim geese that were shipped to me. The air cells on them are pretty damaged so it'll be hard to watch air cell progression on them. But they are growing just fine so far and wiggling around in there so I hope they hatch!

My eggs are mix eggs...They are sebastopol/toulouse cross...I am sure they are going to be very cute though. LOL I cant wait to see how they come out and what colors if I even manage to get them to hatch that is....this is my first time ever trying to incubate goose eggs so we will see. JEN

Today is day 6 and I decided to candle again and you can clearly see the embryo's now. I posted pics in the first post and now I am not going to candle again till day 15. Temps still holding steady at 37.3 c or 99.1 f and humidity is running around 32% air cell looks good so far. I began misting and cooling eggs for 10 minutes today.

Quote: NO WAY!!!! I moved from there about.... hmmmm.... 5 years ago!!! We come through here once a year... thats so cool that you live there!

I incubated pilgrim eggs before. 3 eggs shipped, all formed, and made it to lockdown, 1 died during hatching.

Last edited:
I enjoyed hatching my goose eggs. I have 4 buff american goslings coming from a BYCer, and I am so excited to hatch eggs from them next spring! But I am also excited to be enjoying the baby time. They should be shipped sometime next month around the 20th.

Will be watching this thread like a hawk!

I will be following too, incubating eggs is something that I want to do, have never done, and am afraid to try for losing the babies. This is so interesting, thank you!

Back
Top Bottom