1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Picture of cuckoo marans chicks, boy & girl difference

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by dkluzier, Apr 9, 2009.

1. dkluzier

dkluzier Chillin' With My Peeps

Lil John isn't quite dried off but as soon as he hatched, the color difference from the first 4 chicks was obvious. He is more silver, especially the back of the neck area. The light wasn't that great and of course it is shining on him a little more. The girls are noticably darker gray/black with less barring

[​IMG]

2. Aero

Aero Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2009
    Portland, OR
    thanks for this pic. My cukoo maran chick developed a comb so much earlier than the others in my brood I was worried she was a roo. But she's dark like your female so I guess she's a she afterall.

3. dkluzier

dkluzier Chillin' With My Peeps

The first 4 to hatch were all similar in color and I was trying to make one of them a rooster by the comb size. When Lil John hatched, I saw what they meant by lighter in color. Now I know that the first 4 are all hens.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  4. Lucky Ducky

Lucky Ducky Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 1 roo and 5 pullets. All are 4 weeks old and if I didn't know that Dillinger was a roo, I would think they were all roos based on comb size. My pullets are dark but their combs are as big as his. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by