1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Picture Of Mottled Ameraucana Cockeral

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Brody's Broodello, Dec 28, 2009.

1. Brody's Broodello

Brody's Broodello Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2009
    Maryland
    Thought I'd post a pic of Spots. He is a Lav/Black split Ameraucana, that for some reason developed into the mottled pattern. Anyone else have this happen?
    Thanks, April
    [​IMG]

2. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    No he sure is a handsome fellow though. I see some gold leaking through his hackles I know thats much more common maybe they are linked where did you get him? I know some breeders are working on Mottled Ameraucana.

Henry

3. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    He is not mottled, alot of black ameraucanas that have slate legs are actually birchen. They have enough black modifiers to cover any silver they may be carrying.

The lavender gene inhibits those black modifiers and the silver is expressed. You do not want to use this bird for breeding lavenders.

4. Brody's Broodello

Brody's Broodello Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2009
    Maryland
    Thanks, I got him to breed next years egg layers. Didn't care what color he was, he was suppose to be black, but I think he is cool looking anyway. My son has an egg business, and people love the blue eggs from the girls. I just needed a male Ameraucana for breeding to them to continue producing the next gen of blue egg layers. But bonus he came with to Black Am girl friends so at least we'll have them for laying. We have no desire to show any of them. Not enough room with all the Bantams that we show. They are just for the backyard. Thanks

pips&peeps :

He is not mottled, alot of black ameraucanas that have slate legs are actually birchen. They have enough black modifiers to cover any silver they may be carrying.

The lavender gene inhibits those black modifiers and the silver is expressed. You do not want to use this bird for breeding lavenders.​

5. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Brody's Broodello :

Thanks, I got him to breed next years egg layers. Didn't care what color he was, he was suppose to be black, but I think he is cool looking anyway. My son has an egg business, and people love the blue eggs from the girls. I just needed a male Ameraucana for breeding to them to continue producing the next gen of blue egg layers. But bonus he came with to Black Am girl friends so at least we'll have them for laying. We have no desire to show any of them. Not enough room with all the Bantams that we show. They are just for the backyard. Thanks

pips&peeps :

The lavender gene inhibits those black modifiers and the silver is expressed. You do not want to use this bird for breeding lavenders.

Well he sure will make some interesting chicks​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by