PICTURE OF MY BROODER

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickedydoodaa, Feb 25, 2009.

1. chickedydoodaa

chickedydoodaa Taking a break

Feb 8, 2009
    Philadelphia PA
    I have a 250 watt RED heat bulb, large glass tank. I hope no one walks by my window and thinks I am an import from Amsterdam what with the red light glowing in the window...oooo err!

It is about 40 inces long and 14 wide and deep. I will keep the lamp at one end so the chicks can go to the other if too warm, I will have to test them with it. What you think?

It is a 40 gallon tank

Yes it has a top [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  2. agirly4chicks

agirly4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2009
    Hamilton, Georgia USA
    Funny Funny. I am new to this I just got my checks last Wednesday so i can't say if this is right or wrong. Sorry [​IMG]

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

That 250 watt lamp may be too much for that small space. In that space, I'd use a 125 watt heatlamp or even less. You can raise the heatlamp up higher, thereby lowering the temp if it's over 95 degrees underneath.

4. lilbreeches

lilbreeches Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2009
    Delight, AR
    looks ok. do you have a top to it. won't be long before they are trying to fly [​IMG]

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Oh, yeah, they'll fly out within two weeks.

6. rockabilly7

rockabilly7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    Florida panhandle
    I think a 250 watt is way too much for a 20 gallon tank if it was a 30 then it would be diff. but the 250 on a 20g will probably sky rocket the heat I would try a 75 watt or 100 watt infrared bulb, they should sell them at any store that has reptiles. Good luck!!!
    P.S.-I also use a 20 gallon tank as my brooder [​IMG]

7. daisychick

daisychick Incubator Tetris Master Consultant

Feb 8, 2009
    Colorado
    I tried the 250 watt heat bulb in my aquarium and within 10 seconds the temp on the thermometer on the bottom was at 130 degrees! So probably too hot. I would either raise the heat lamp a lot or use a smaller watt bulb. I am using a 20 gallon aquarium to brood a single chick and I am using a 100 watt bulb raised to the height of the top rim of the tank. I hope that helps. Stick a thermometer on the bottom of the tank and see what temps you get.

8. RIVERA69R

RIVERA69R Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    VENICE FL
    That will definetly be to much heat for thatsetup I have a 150gal reptile tank 6ft x 2ft and I use a 100w red heatlamp on one end and a 100w reg bulb on other end for light and they are fine

9. chickedydoodaa

chickedydoodaa Taking a break

Feb 8, 2009
    Philadelphia PA
    Ok anyone want to buy (2) brand new 250w red heat lamp bulbs?

$5 each plus shipping [​IMG]

10. agirly4chicks

agirly4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2009
    Hamilton, Georgia USA
    Quote:Just a regular thermostat like one you determine the outside temp with right?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by