picture of my coop and run what to do to make the run snow proof

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by blueseal, Jul 5, 2010.

1. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    [​IMG] want to give them more of a covered run have a 12x12 covered run as u can see. any ideas.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
  2. jamieg

jamieg Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2010
    Chili, Wisconsin
    It looks like you have a pretty nice set up already. How many chickens do you have? It looks like you will have a lot of room inside at least. I know for me, I have a large dog kennel attached to our coop and I plan of building a roof for the top and buying some winter proof tarps (they make them for dog kennels) for the north and east side. West side is covered by the coop. I will prob leave the south side open. Good luck.

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Last year, we used tarps, of course the middle had to be propped up, and I had to knock the snow off several times because it was crazy snowy here in Ohio. But this year, hubby's making a slanted roof, and he's using that wavy plastic sheeting for the roof, hoping that the snow will slide off. I may put tarps on the sides to keep away the wind.

Your coop looks nice. One thing that you will like is, if you can, make the roof high enough so you can stand up in the run.

4. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    Quote:i have 18, standard egg layers a variety of breeds that are 1 years old. right now. and 6 baby chicks with more to hatchout in a couple days. also have 3, 16 week old pullets. plan on haveing 30 laying hens total by spring .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by