1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Picture of my EE chicks, gender please

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ging3rhoffman, Apr 15, 2009.

1. ging3rhoffman

ging3rhoffman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    This first one we call "wild thing". She is a bit skittish, but will still come eat from your hand and sit on your leg by your ankle. She is alot to look at. All of these girls are 6 weeks old. What color would you call chick 2 and 3? Any ideas on what chick 1 might have in her?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The second girl is super sweet and just loves to visit with you.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This 3rd girl has no tail feathers and is a red/blue or grey. She wants the treats you bring but gets her feathers ruffled if you try to touch her. She doesnt really run from you she just gets out of petting distance. I dont have a clue of how they breed the EE's. Do they breed an EE to EE or do they take an EE Rooster and Breed to pure breed hens?
    [​IMG]

Looking down on her back
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
  2. MichiganWoods

MichiganWoods DD (Artistic Digital Diva)

Oct 6, 2008
    West Michigan
    Pictures might help. [​IMG]

3. ging3rhoffman

Feb 23, 2009
    I think I figured out how to post a pic. I posted a couple a few weeks ago and forgot how i done it. lol.

4. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Is Wild Thing a cockerel? Look at that tail...

5. Appaloosa Hill Farm

Appaloosa Hill Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Southern Middle TN
    Quote:That was my first thought, too. SHE'S got some mane going on there, too. [​IMG]

I'm not exactly sure how hatcheries breed EEs, but you can sure see the Araucana coming out in the last girl. She's rumpless! And quite cute. [​IMG]

6. ging3rhoffman

Feb 23, 2009
    I dont know what wild things gender is. I was suppose to get 6 pullets and I alread know for sure that this one is not a pullet, i posted his pic and several people said it was a rooster. They said anytime you have splashed of color like that, then its a rooster. I hate not getting 6 pullets as ordered. I hope wildthing is a pullet.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    That could still be a pullet...... EEs do tend to have certain color/pattern combinations for cockerels/pullets. Pullets do tend to be more solid and even in coloration..... but that doesn't work 100% of the time and is no where near a science... more of an observation thing. It also depends on the lines. Some EE lines are easier to tell than others..... and it mostly works with the wild type coloring that comes in red, brown and silver.

As to the first 3.... looking at those saddle feathers (a clearer pic would help as I can;t determine with certainty that it is the feather shape and NOT just the pattern on the feather) but I'm guessing the first is a cockerel and the rest pullets.

8. sherrydeanne

sherrydeanne Chillin' With My Peeps

They all look like pullets to me.

9. Four Acre Bliss

Four Acre Bliss Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2009
    Virginia
    Sorry, but Wild Thing looks completely roo to me. I'm no expert, though, so hopefully I'm wrong. I have 5 EE pullets and I do suspect one of being a cockerel, but he/she looks nowhere near as masculine as Wild Thing.

10. sherrydeanne

sherrydeanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Yeah, WT's coloring is very rooish, but his back feathers and comb are very pullet. Perhaps he's just a late developer, or hopefully he'll surprise you and be a girlie [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by