1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Picture of my first baby

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Julie's Silkies, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Julie's Silkies

Julie's Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2008
    Gloucester, Virginia
    I just had to share a pic of my first baby. This is my first time Incubating.
    So I have one RIR chick and 4 more to hatch out and 5 Silkies to go.
    How long does it take them to dry.
    [​IMG]

2. FisherMOM

FisherMOM Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    Aw. I have never incubated chicks, so I can't answer that.. But I can say.. "Welcome to BYC" to the cute little RIR!

3. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    I have found that it takes a while in the bator b/c of the humitidy !!! I take them out of the bator and put them in the nice warm brooder when they are about half dry, sometimes sooner!!!! Ive never had an issue doing it that way and I know there are others on here that take them out also when the are half dry, they dry so much quicker that way !!! Plus they dont roll the other eggs everywhere !!!!Good luck !!!!

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    The chick is fine in the incubator for 24 hours. Opening the incubator before the other eggs have hatched really messes up the environment and though the humidity recovers it doesn't create the same optimal conditions for the other eggs to finish hatching. Taking them out too soon - even when going into a warm brooder cause chilling. Chilled chicks get sick quickly.

5. candyd

candyd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Corinth, NY
    How cute:) I just love the newborns! Thanks for posting pictures. Hopefully next year, I will have the same.

6. Julie's Silkies

Jul 27, 2008
    Gloucester, Virginia
    I now have 2 RIR and all the others have zipped. I cant wait to see what colors the silkies are.

I'm going to leave them in the bator until dry.
    Thanks

7. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    I think we all do things different, we all do it our way and that way works for us !!! I have never had an issue taking them out half dry, or for that matter with my other eggs hatching. I don't think we give enough credit to baby chicks as they should get, they are much more hardy than we think !!!

8. naveed

naveed Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2007
    Beautiful, hope ur other eggs also hatch properly.

9. Julie's Silkies

Jul 27, 2008
    Gloucester, Virginia
    Thanks, So far I have 2 hatched and one that didnt make it. [​IMG]

10. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    Congrats ... nice clean hatch to [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by