Picture of my GSD and question on wild bird ID

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by ma2babygurl13, Oct 25, 2010.

1. ma2babygurl13

ma2babygurl13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Fairborn OH
    Here is my Tucker Boy he is now 8 1/2 months old [​IMG] The Best dog I have ever had (minus a few quirks) lol
    [​IMG]

This is the bird in question:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. lotzahenz

lotzahenz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Not sure what bird that is, sorry. Love your dog. Where are you, that will help narrow it down a bit. I see: Long pointy bill, eating fruit. A chunky, speckled body, compact but looks big and solid. dark eyes. It depends on your locaton to ID for me though. HenZ

3. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    The bird is a European starling. They are an invasive species in the US brought over from Europe to create a more "shakespearian" atmosphere here in the states. Little did the people know back then just how well the starlings would do!

Gorgeous dog too!

4. ma2babygurl13

ma2babygurl13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Fairborn OH
    I always thought that starlings were shiny black birds... hmmm well that makes sense when I did a bird ID thing it narrowed it down to a European Starling. Neat bird, don't believe I have ever seen one... now I wonder what the shiny black birds (look purple and green in the sun) are.... I'm in Ohio....

Thanks, I love my Tucky Boy... The only problem he really has is coming inside and going back out, (he doesn't like the stairs to the back yard) other than that he is a wonderful boy! That and he barks at the slightest noise... its a good thing except when you have sleeping children and grumpy neighbors lol!

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Starlings are really quite beautiful birds, or would be if a) they had more of a tail and b) they weren't such a PESTILENCE especially this time of year [​IMG]

The shiny black purple-and-green-in-the-sun birds you refer to, if they have a proper-sized or actually somewhat longish tail, are probably grackles. (e.t.a. -- if you're talking about starling-shaped ones with very little tail, they're starlings [​IMG], which are blackish too and irridescent, just not STRAIGHT black, they have all those fine markings. The one in your pic looks like a juvenile not yet in its final adult plumage which would be darker around the head. But all ages have those fine detailed pale markings on each feather)

Chickerdoodle, did you know that the doofus who introduced starlings to the US in Central Park back in the previous century actually had to try TWICE to get it to work, or at least that is the commonly-told story. He also tried with skylarks and song thrushes but of course wouldn't you know it was the *starlings* that (the second time) survived and took over the continent [​IMG]

Pat

Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
  6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Tucker is a handsome boy.

We have a pair of starlings that nest under our carport, or did until a black snake ate all their young this past summer. I wasn't sure they would come back, but I saw some work done on the nest the other day. We encourage them to nest there by keeping the area quiet when they are on the nest and keeping the dogs away from the carport.

Sure they poop on things, but they also eat tons of insects. I'd rather deal with a little poop - I have chickens after all - than mosquitos.

7. annageckos

annageckos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    SE PA / NJ
    That photo is a starling in winter plumage. During the breeding season they look different, more black. They are pretty birds but highly invasive. They out compete native species for food and nesting spots. They also can destroy crops.

8. abluechipstock

abluechipstock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2009
    fort ashby, wv
    looks like a starling female to me [​IMG]

9. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quote:Interesting Pat! I can't believe it took TWO times. And what the heck did they think the birds would do once they let them loose? Just hang around central park? Makes me wanna [​IMG] somebody!

Don't get me wrong, I love starlings. I've raised many of them from babies and some have made wonderful pets. The others I let loose in my yard. I've never had a problem with them, but I hear they can be pretty destructive. They push out a lot of the native birds that nest at the fair grounds and they always seem to take the better nests since they are so much larger!

10. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Beautiful dog. I've had many dogs. My all time favorite was a GSD, Belgian strain male. The bird pictured is a starling, and the shiny greenish/purple black birds you refer to are most likely grackles.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by