picture of my new coop still working on it what do you think

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by schellie69, May 14, 2010.

1. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    We used new wood for the frame but used old pallets for the walls the flooring is recycled plastic (does not rot) and the other is treated wood (this part is my shed for chicken supplies) what do you think so far the wall that is the last one will have the door to shed part and coop and the outside nest boxes.
    coop opening for chickens
    [​IMG]
    coop area for chickens
    [​IMG]
    storage are for me.
    [​IMG]

2. nelgkel

nelgkel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    FL
    [​IMG] good job!

3. Toast n Jelly

Toast n Jelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    Very nice! Good Job.

4. rriveramri

rriveramri Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2009
    LA, CA
    Looks nice

How many chickens are you planning to get or have??

5. schellie69

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    Thank you can't wait till its done, supposed to rain this weekend so won't get done until next weekend. then make the walkway to it from pen and the girls can move in and DH gets his tool shed back.

6. Tallgirl17

Tallgirl17 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2010
    St.Louis area/IL
    That looks great! Good job on reusing! I'm thinking of trying the same with old pallets. How much of a pain is it to take those apart? My husbands deployed right now and we're newish the the area, so not so many friends. I'd love to reuse pallets instead of new plywood but I don't want to be in over my head! It really does look fantastic![​IMG]

7. HelenB

HelenB Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2010
    Kitsap Peninsula
    Tallgirl,
    I found some good information about reusing pallets on "Instructables" last night. Made me feel like I might be able to manage it with patience and practice. There are some good threads here on BYC that led me there using "pallet" as my search word....

8. equusvilla

equusvilla Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2010
    South Texas
    Quote:Looks good... raining here too in Texas...probably won't get much done on ours either!

9. schellie69

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    Quote:some where harder then others depends on how old ect, DH is even reusing some of the nails that came out of the Pallets which I love since I love to recycle, reuse, reduce Just have a good hammer and don't worry if some break you can use the smaller pieces on shorter walls also DH just put the boards on then cut at the end saved a lot of time in having to measure every board. we should have it done this weekend will post when its all done and girls and 1 boy are moved in. I can't wait to see it finished. if anyone wants to ask any questions please feel free to PM me I am usually on the computer a bunch during the day. thanks for all the comments.

10. chzheadgrl

chzheadgrl Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2010
    Very nice! I love the idea of reusing things to make your coop. My husband is currently constructing our chicken home from an old bottom portion of a cabinet. I was unsure at first, but I must admit, it's turning out pretty good and it's one of a kind!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by