Picture of my sick hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by galaxyflyer1, Aug 21, 2010.

1. galaxyflyer1

galaxyflyer1 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2009
    Corona Ca.
    Here she is in the bathtub. I wanted you to notice the flakes on her comb. She has had them for a year and did not seem to be affected by them. Just wondering if her being ill has anything to do with it.

I am trying to find a vet today.

[​IMG]

2. winekntrychicks

winekntrychicks Pooper Peeper

Jul 26, 2008
    Sebastopol, CA
    my ee had the same thing. Never bothered her that I know of. What are her symptoms?

3. galaxyflyer1

Feb 18, 2009
    Corona Ca.
    OK, ya, it did not seem to bother her before. It's my favorite hen and I really think that she going to die very soon. Trying to find a vet that will take her NOW in the Inland Empire of SO-CAL.

Please see my post a few posts below " Hen with heat sickness?"

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I read your other posts and agree with what the others have said. Try giving her plain yogurt mixed with a scrambled egg. If she eats that, I'm sure she'll quickly recover and save yourself a vet bill.

5. galaxyflyer1

Feb 18, 2009
    Corona Ca.
    Thanks Dawg,
    I just bought some plain yogurt and scrambled an egg, then mixed it all up. I forced feed her maybe a small teaspoon is all.
    She will barely stand and wants to keep her eyes closed.

The vets out here are no help. Some will work on exotic birds but not a "stupid" chicken. They did not say that but I'm sure that's the mentality.
    I could drive her an hour away, but I guess ya gotta draw the line somewhere. I always said to my wife that we cannot treat them like a family pet dog or cat. But it's hard because I do not like to see anything suffer. Hopefully she is not in any pain and will die peacefully. ....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by