Picture of one of our babies first egg.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by stubbornhill, Aug 8, 2011.

1. stubbornhill

stubbornhill Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Shapleigh, Maine
    Not that we all haven't seen an egg before. But...it's just so darned cute and I've been waiting for a long 18 weeks! We have 9 hens of this age and this is the first egg that we've seen. (It's the one in the middle, just in case it isn't clear [​IMG]) She flew high up onto the top of the cows round bale, made herself a nice little cushy nest and left us a present! [​IMG] Now, let's see if they start using the new nesting boxes.

[​IMG]

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Congratulations. [​IMG] I have hen chicks coming in tomorrow so maybe in a few months??? [​IMG]

3. stubbornhill

Apr 11, 2011
    Shapleigh, Maine
    redsoxs, that is so awesome! You have fun with your new additions. They are soooo cute as chicks. It seemed to me that once they hit 14ish weeks, I was just waiting and waiting for that special day when I would see an egg. And to boot, I had to "buy" grocery store eggs yesterday. [​IMG] So it was an especially welcome little gift to know that the rest of them should start laying soon!

PS redsoxs as in Red Soxs? Not that a fan from Kansas is not welcome. Just wondering...

4. TammyP

TammyP Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    SW Wisconsin
    Congrats!

Just a question... I know the egg on the right is from your leghorn but just wondering about the breed that laid the new one and the one on the left? My Light Brahma lays one like the left one and I see you don't have one on your 'list'. [​IMG]

~Tammy

5. stubbornhill

Apr 11, 2011
    Shapleigh, Maine
    Quote:Thanks Tammy! The new egg is from one of our Speckled Sussex and the egg on the left is from our Rhode Island Red. She lays incredible eggs. I don't have any Brahmas although I would have one in a minute. In fact...I am trying really hard to figure out if I want a wonderful mixed flock or if I want to get 10 or so of another breed, rehome our three older girls and our Patridge Rocks and keep to just 2 breeds. Such a tough choice!

6. Rodster

Rodster Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2011
    Tampa Bay, Florida
    Very KEWL. just 10 days ago i got the first egg from my new hens and i was thrilled. it was funny because i too was out of eggs, bought some cage free ones, then stuck 3 of them out into the nest boxes. the rooster found it first and went nuts. then the hens saw them and within a few days, my first egg. Just today was my first 3 egg morning where i actually got an egg from all 3 girls. i read at first that they needed to re-adjust to their new home and routine before they would lay and sure enough they're back on track. I have an egg collecting question i will post in a seperate thread in a few minutes but again, Congrats on the new egg.

7. stubbornhill

Apr 11, 2011
    Shapleigh, Maine
    Thanks Rodster and congrats on your new girls and eggs! Nothing like knowing where your food is coming from. [​IMG]

8. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    I never really gave that dozen eggs from the store much thought at all.

But once I had my own chickens and they started laying, I think of each egg as a work of art. I love the little dark brown speckles that my JG puts all over her brown eggs.
    And I nearly cried one time, I had set an egg on the counter and went back outside. When I came back in, it had rolled onto the floor and broke. I just felt so bad because I now have more of an appreciation for all the work they put into making one egg.

9. stubbornhill

Apr 11, 2011
    Shapleigh, Maine
    Quote:Absolutely! In years past, if I had broken a store bought egg; in the trash it would have gone. With my own chickens, boy if one gets dropped or I put two in my pocket (yes, I really do that!) and one gets cracked, I am so upset with myself. It is a lot of hard work (mostly for the chickens [​IMG] ) and I soooo appreciate it!

10. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Congrats!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by