Picture of your Pen to Raise your Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by savilcr, Jan 27, 2011.

1. savilcr

savilcr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2011
    Georgia
    I was thinking about putting my chicks in a round plastic kids pool for the first couple weeks and keep them inside with the heat lamp on them. Please post any pictures you may have of your set up or pen that you are raising your chicks in.

Thanks

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    I don't have a picture right now, but I used a metal stock tank. They stayed in there until they were ready to move to the outside coop. When they got big enough to hop out, I put a chicken wire screen over the top.

3. dirtsaver

dirtsaver Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Kentucky
    Sorry I do not have pictures but we just used a couple of large cardboard boxes (24"x30"x24" tall). We still had to use storm window screens over the top to keep them in after a few weeks. They were raised in the utility room till I got the coop finished.

Larry

4. Heidi

Heidi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    I use a 4'x3' dog crate. I hang the heating lamp inside and duct tape the cord so it doesn't slip. I take a card board box and make sides (about 2 ' high) on the outside of the crate to keep the woodshavings and some heat in. Sorry - don't have a picture either.

5. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    I've used the kiddie pool method, but you have ot use somethings, cardboard for us to ge thte sides at leas ta foot higher or they are poppign out within a week. after the first week you'll need to consider nettign the top depending on what breeds you have. We had 2 wk old chicks launchign themsleves over the carboard sides.

6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I brood in a 5 x8 boxed utility trailer out in the barn. It has 28" or so, sides. Then, at 4 weeks, it is off to the grow out pen.
    They grow so fast and become so active, that they gotta go to the pen quickly.

I also like to use the trailer to brood, because once the chicks come out at 4 weeks, I simply tow it to the field and sweep it out for fertilizer. By then, it sorely needs it.

7. Stevo

Stevo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Howell, NJ
    [​IMG]

Once they are big enuff to get over the barrier I take it down. It doesn't take long they grow fast.

8. Thunder Bay Chicken

Thunder Bay Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2010
    North of Thunder Bay
    I don't have chickens yet, (not until april, CAN'T WAIT! ) but I built this last fall it's in my garage and I'm ready for chicks!

4x8 pen with 2x8 brooder

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
  9. kennedyscochins

kennedyscochins Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2009
    Big Clifty
    I just use a rubbermaid container with a window screen over the top to set the heat lamp on. Works great!

10. savilcr

savilcr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2011
    Georgia
    anyone else?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by