picture ornaments

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by Blue Skys, Oct 15, 2009.

1. Blue Skys

Blue Skys Hi Mom!!

Nov 25, 2008
    Texas
    Hi there, I haven't seen any ideas that I really like, so maybe y'all can help...

My grandmother passed away in September, after a long couragous battle with cancer. I wanted to make ornaments for eveyone for christmas, but I haven't found a good idea for an ornament with her picture in/on it that can easily be made at home without spending a ton of money.

Do y'all have any ideas?

2. CrazyChickieMama

CrazyChickieMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2008
    Bolton, NC
  3. welman

welman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    New Hampshire
  4. Blue Skys

Blue Skys Hi Mom!!

Nov 25, 2008
    Texas
    Good ideas, thanks!!

5. Haleth

Haleth Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2009
    Southern California
    What a great way to remember your grandmother! It's beautiful that you want to do this for your family. I bet they'll treasure it forever.

You can do photo transfers either onto polymer clay, with liquid polymer clay, or a photo transfer medium. It's inexpensive, easy, and with the liquid PC and medium, you can apply it to dang near anything. It's flexible, too, so you could set the image on rounded surfaces.

The liquid PC is kind of thick, but smoother, and all of the brush-on transfer mediums I've tried leave brush marks, which is kind of cool if you need a certain look. It looks like an oil painting. There are ways to get around that, but if you want it to be smooth, I'd use PC. There're a lot of tutorials out there. Here's one of the ornaments I'm working on with the transfer medium, along with a closeup of the brush marks on the back of it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  6. Blue Skys

Blue Skys Hi Mom!!

Nov 25, 2008
    Texas
    I like that idea alot, I will look into that some more. Thank you!!!

7. Haleth

Haleth Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2009
    Southern California
    You're welcome! I forgot to mention, though, that the liquid polymer clay doesn't need a heat gun, but I've read that it does a better job with one. I've only done it in the oven, and it doesn't come out as quite as smooth as the heat gun tutorials I've seen on TV. Actually, it's smooth, but not as nicely rounded. Maybe just the airflow helps smooth it out, and a hair dryer or something else would do the trick. (I was thinking of using a straw at first.) I haven't experimented with it lately so I don't know if any of those will work.

I'd love to see pictures of what you do with the ornaments, if you don't mind. [​IMG] I'm planning on making a bunch of different kinds myself this year.

8. Blue Skys

Blue Skys Hi Mom!!

Nov 25, 2008
    Texas
    Good tip! I will post pictures when I do them. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by