Picture upload needs serious help.

Royd

Songster
10 Years
May 31, 2009
Middleburg, Fl.
I posted in Random Ramblings, about wanting to upload some pics, to go along with a story, and got no replies...I guess everyone thought I was just ranting.

Almost every time that I have posted pictures, it took about 15 minutes per picture.

I see that you have put in a progress bar, but that doesn't mean a thing, because when the bar is full, it still just sits there, for another 10 minutes, only to tell me that my pictures are the wrong format.

All of the pictures, which I have uploaded, were taken with a D 40 Canon. The same one I'm using today, so how could my format have changed?

Sorry guys, but they say that a picture is worth a thousand words, and I would love to show the progress of my coop, after almost a year of it waiting to get started, but sitting here staring at the screen, with my fingers crossed, just hoping that I drop into the slot, at the perfect time, or whatever the problem is, is just not worth the frustration.

Uploading a picture should be no more complicated than posting this post. At least, that's how I see it.

Thanks for any help which you can offer.

We have thousands of images uploaded by hundreds of members a week, so I'm guessing it might be something that could be solved with some tweaks on your side.

How big are the pictures you are loading and how fast is your internet connection? We recommend that if members have images over 2mb they resize them on their PC's before uploading. Shoot for images around 100 kb in size to upload.

Quote:
Thanks, guys...I guess a high dollar camera is useless, when it comes to moving pics on the internet.

Your upload page does say that pics will be resized automatically, if they are above a certain size. I just figured that all I had to do was hit browse and select and the rest would be done, to suit the website.

Quote:
Thanks, guys...I guess a high dollar camera is useless, when it comes to moving pics on the internet.

Your upload page does say that pics will be resized automatically, if they are above a certain size. I just figured that all I had to do was hit browse and select and the rest would be done, to suit the website.

The picture would still need to upload the entire file before it can be resized. I typically open in photoshop and resize to 640 x 480 and then click on save for web. 640 x 480 seems to work well for the web and when you save for web it keeps the file size smaller. If the photos were uploaded in full resolution people would have to scroll to see the whole picture. High resolution is necessary for printing and capturing fine details... not so good for web browsing though.

Royd,

The easiest way to deal with this quickly and with little trouble is to make a copy of the image on your computer. Then, open that copy in Windows Office Picture Manager. Click Edit Pictures. (It's along the top). Then, in the section on the right hand side of your screen, click Compress. Choose either the Documents or the Web Page setting. These will take it down to a reasonable size. Save that file.

Then, upload that picture to BYC. Every one that I've uploaded has been instant this way.

Back
Top Bottom