PICTURES ADDED PAGE 2 Weighed the Cornish x's @ 7 weeks disappointed

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by DENALI, Jun 2, 2008.

1. DENALI

DENALI Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Bought 100 "left over" Cornish X's from Orschelns on May 11. They were supposed to be 4 weeks old at that time. Anyhow i weighed 10 or so today and they were between 3.4 and 4.6 pounds and they are now 7 weeks old. I know they didnt have free access to feed while at orschelns but i would have thought they would have weighed more by now. They were fed chick starter the first week i had them then went to broiler feed and i just switched them to straight cracked corn a couple days ago as i was going to finish them out the last two weeks on that before butcher. Now i dont know if i should go back to broiler feed for awhile first.
    Anyhow input would be appreciated. Thanks

Last edited: Jun 11, 2008
  2. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    there is only like 8% protein in cracked corn, you'll stunt them. get them back on the broiler ration. most likely they were not 4 weeks old when you bought them. also make sure they're not cold.

3. bheila

bheila Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    Maybe they are fryers. We just processed our first batch of meat chickens. I was told they were Cornish X's. I'm pretty sure they were fryers. At 12 weeks they weighed 11 pounds before butchered.

4. blue90292

blue90292 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    Rosharon, TX
    any chance you can post pictures of what they look like right now? i bought some leftover cornish X from a guy and they were 4 weeks old. i turned around and sold them, but they weighed a good 3, maybe 4 pounds, i remember, at that age.

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Are you sure they are a cornish x broiler and not a fryer?

6. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Also are you SURE they were 4 weeks old when you got them?

7. greentree

greentree Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    Fryers ARE CornishX.....they are processed smaller. Put them on free-choice ration. Mine were not a consistent size. I had to process at intervals.

Nancy

8. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Mmmm, not necessarily. The "Frying Pan" specials are typically male Leghorns.

9. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Quote:'Tis true.

From MM Hatchery

Some people prefer a smaller, lighter bird for fryers and these will fill that bill. They are white feathered, yellow skinned, light breed cockerel chicks from either our Highland 55’s or White Leghorns. They are delicious fryers but will take longer to reach butchering size. They will not be as large as Cornish X Rock or Cornish Roasters. Many of our customers buy the Frying Pan Special for butchering and raise them with the pullets they order.

http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/product/frying_pan_special.html

10. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:'Tis true.

From MM Hatchery

Some people prefer a smaller, lighter bird for fryers and these will fill that bill. They are white feathered, yellow skinned, light breed cockerel chicks from either our Highland 55’s or White Leghorns. They are delicious fryers but will take longer to reach butchering size. They will not be as large as Cornish X Rock or Cornish Roasters. Many of our customers buy the Frying Pan Special for butchering and raise them with the pullets they order.

http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/product/frying_pan_special.html

Haha, that sounds like a creatively worded ad to get rid of the chickens that no one wants!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by