Pictures and Story of Googly, my Special Needs Chick (a little graphic

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by lockedhearts, May 10, 2009.

1. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    Googly was hatched from some eggs I got, the eggs had been refrigerated, I have no idea if that is the reason Googly is the way she is or not.
    Googly was the only egg that hatched out of 1 1/2 dozen, it was plain that she was different from the start. I never treated her any different, she was lively and I had some chicks that hatched a day or two before so once she was fluffed, I put her in the brooder and she ate, drank and got along fine.
    Googly grew, and the other chicks did not pick on her, I moved them outdoors , but Googly was still not fully feathered so she stayed inside, I put some new chicks with her but these chicks picked on her, so she got a special "Googly" apartment of her own. To keep her from getting lonely we got her a stuffed toy chicken. She loves her new friend she roosts on it and sleeps underneath it.
    I know a lot of people would have culled Googly, she will remain a pet and I plan to find another bird to go with her, one that will accept her for who she is and not pick on her. We will build her a special pen and that is where she will stay.
    For now, Googly resides in our bathroom with her stuffed buddy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    awww good for you for treating Googly special. I've had parrots that have hatched that have had problems and instead of culling them, I have always provided a home for them until their time was up.

Laurie

3. LuLuBelle

LuLuBelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Richmond, VA
    that is so sweet!!

4. chicken_china_mom

chicken_china_mom Crazy for Cochins

Apr 24, 2009
    Tab, Indiana
    Oh she is precious! God Bless her! I hope she thrives. I know you'll give her the quality of life that she deserves. She is beautiful! [​IMG]

5. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    Interesting, is her only issue the one covered eye?

6. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    Quote:As far as I know the eye is the only issue, she seems normal every other way. Her good eye is smaller than normal, compared to other chicks, but she can see out of it.

7. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    awww...so sweet....we call our puppy googly boogly--because of his eyes!! he can stare at 2 people at the same time!!! hahaha--

8. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    You have a wonderful heart providing for this chick [​IMG] I, too, have a special needs chick (spraddle leg/curled toes/can't walk). It has been over a year now and she is thriving, happy and laying lots of eggs. I was never able to get HER to accept another chicken, lol. She likes being "the one". People always question me as to how she can be happy not doing normal chicken things but being so close to her, I just know. She doesn't know anything different than this life so I'm sure yours will be the same way [​IMG] Best wishes to both of you!

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  9. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Thats so wonderful of you! She seems quite happy. I believe, as long as they are not hurting, then why not just keep them around, right? God bless you for all you are doing for little Googly, she's cute by the way! [​IMG]

10. imtc

imtc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2008
    I love hearing stories of people accomodating "special needs" animals. I had a parokeet a few years ago that lost both her feet (just turned black one day and fell off at the knee joint). She was left with two little nubs but could still walk (I did have to bandage them at times since they'd get sore and raw) but removed the perches from her little hanging cage & set the floor up with padded areas & toys low that she could reach. She lived for several years like that with no problems and was just the sweetest little thing and did great.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by