Pictures from around the Farm..

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by LotsaChicken, Oct 24, 2011.

1. LotsaChicken

LotsaChicken Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2011
    It was so nice out today that I took a few pictures of the animals. I didn't get many of the chickens because so many of them are in molt and look terrible! Hope y'all enjoy!

This is Oscar, he is a Welsh cross. I have to keep his tail docked, otherwise it becomes so matted he can't swing it. No amount of grooming prevents this..his hair is just that coarse.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is my Jersey, Honey. We are hoping she is bred. We put her with a nice, young bull in August. We haven't seen any signs of heat since.

[​IMG]

Does she look settled to you?

[​IMG]

I found this Sid Taylor game chicken in a dog crate on my front porch a few days ago. I'm sure I know where it came from. This person has left many of his chickens on my porch before. He leaves the ones that he feels aren't good enough to breed, but doesn't want to butcher them. I took the last bunch of them to the auction, but won't again. I ran into a man who bought that batch a week, or two later and he told me how well the rooster had done at a cock fight the night before. I guess this one will just hang around my pastures [​IMG] I'm keeping the dog crate.

[​IMG]

One of several barn cats. We've taken in a few cats that have nowhere else to go and spay the females. We have four now! It seems like I trip over a cat every time I go outside.

[​IMG]

Excuse the fuzziness, but quail won't be still!

[​IMG]

Another barn cat.

[​IMG]

This is what happens when your wheaten Easter Egger hen falls madly in love with your BLRW rooster. She disappeard from the laying hen yard one day and we thought a coyote had gotten her. The next thing we know she shows up with a batch of eight chicks. There is no rooster in the laying hen yard. Somehow she was finding her way back and forth from the laying hen yard to the pen with the pair of BLRW. She was laying eggs in a shed out back when noone was looking. The chicks are beautiful..bright red and dark blue. I'm keeping the little hens, but butchering the little roos.

[​IMG]

Barred Rocks

[​IMG]

Turkeys

[​IMG]

A few of my girls

[​IMG]

A few of my remaining flowers

[​IMG]

He hears something strange

[​IMG]

A few of the pigs

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These chickens aren't molting

[​IMG]

A sure sign Winter is near

[​IMG]

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG] Loved it!

3. GoldDogsMom

GoldDogsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    Wonderful Pictures! What a happy looking farm you've got going!

4. ChickInDelight

ChickInDelight Never an Empty Nest

Apr 27, 2011
    Browntown, VA
    Great pictures! What a lovely bunch of critters. You are quite fortunate.

5. EmAbTo48

EmAbTo48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Northern Wisconsin
    Where you from? The grass looks still so green! Were in northern wisconsin everything is brown now and cold! No snow yet though!! [​IMG] Its nice to see other people with wood stoves!

Nice looking animals!!

6. LotsaChicken

Sep 22, 2011
    We're in South Carolina. It's really nice during the day here right now. Just perfect weather. It's getting super cool at night. We've even had a little light frost already and had to have a fire a couple of nights. We probably have different ideas of "super cool" though! I bet it gets awful cold in Wisconsin. The lowest we've had so far is 39, but that is cold! Especially when it was in the 70's during the day. The leaves are starting to change and with the cool night temps the grass isn't growing anymore and getting brown patches.

7. EmAbTo48

EmAbTo48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Northern Wisconsin
    Ah yeah we have had 2 nights of 0 degrees/freezing so far, think its going to be a cold winter this year!

8. LotsaChicken

Sep 22, 2011
    I've looked online at property way up north. There are some beautiful places there, but I don't think I would know how to function in that kind of weather. How in the world do you go out and do farm chores when it's 0 degrees outside??? We have it to occasionally fall low like that, but not day, after day.

9. luvinmychickens

luvinmychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Ohio
    Wonderful!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by