*Pictures* Is this Coccidiosis?

Blue_Myst

Songster
10 Years
Feb 5, 2009
This is what I've found every morning when I go to clean up the roosting area for the past month and a half. The chicks are 3-months old, and no other symptoms, in fact, they've got to be the least lethargic chicks I've ever seen. What do you think? Mild Coccidiosis? I didn't think intestinal lining shed every day, so that's the only other thing I can think of. I want to get opinions from people who've seen this disease before, so I know whether to start them on Corid or not. Thanks!
22470_img_1156.jpg

22470_img_1155.jpg

22470_img_1152.jpg

Oh my gosh, thank you! I was so worried there! I just thought it was impossible for them to shed intestinal lining everyday. Could I be feeding them something that irritates their system or is it normal for that to happen everyday in growing chicks?

do you feed them tomatoes i reolized mine get this when they eat toms lol

Nope, but I totally know what you mean! The first time I fed it to my hens way-back-when it freaked me out, until I put two and two together and realized what was causing it.

The only thing I can think of is that, since they are living with the older girls, there is a feeder full of oyster shell available at all times. I've never seen them eat from it, just sample a piece or two and spit it out in disgust. I have a feeling it isn't particularly tasty
wink.png

Maybe I'm feeding them too much grit.
idunno.gif

It doesn't seem to be bothering them in any visible, physical way, so I don't think it's that serious, whatever it is.​

This is what is called a "cecal poop". Every once in a while you get this.

If your chickies drink a lot because of the weather, then you will get much more white (urate) and this can be of concern for those that have not seen this.

Only white is a concern though.

Chicken poop is varied and depends on their daily consumption of feed, water and if they free range, what they ate that day.

If any one has strange poop, please do post it. This can put many on this site at ease.

Back
Top Bottom