pictures new chicks and suprise turkens!Updated More PICS*

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Mom 2em All, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Mom 2em All

Mom 2em All Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    New babies are very very hard to photograph!

My best try:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What is this little silver one? Is it an Easter Egger too?

[​IMG]

A pile of Silkies, defying dark time-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and Carmen:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 3, 2008
  2. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Aww they are sooo cute! I love the pile of silkies. That silver one is very interesting - he's not really white - but silver. Hmmm.

3. Mom 2em All

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    Yep, it is definitely silver- the white ones are usually yellow of some sort. I have no idea- and much smaller than the others, too.

The big grey silkie in the middle of the pile is Ashley...she MUST stay Ashley [​IMG] so I can keep her. I believe the others are all boys- the silkies AND the show girls. They box and scuffle all day long. Very funny to watch them square off. However, Ashley never does- and she doesn't do that crazy dance either.

I opened my other eggs up. I had seven other babies dead-in-the-shell. That makes me very sad. They apparently drowned. They had all made it to the air cell, some were pipped. Two others were turkens. Four others had stopped at some point close to the end. One looked scrambled.

Darn humidity issues. I dont really understand what happened- but it did happen mid-hatch. The first babies dried fluffy, I went to work...came home to some sticky chicks and the ones that didnt make it out, and the one with the yolk sac not absorbed. Perhaps I had a spike in temps and humidity.

I dunno. [​IMG]

My Black Polish that is due to hatch on Friday has a pip, though.

4. goatkeepers

goatkeepers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Mooresville, NC
    Adorable!! [​IMG]
    So sorry to hear about the others that didnt make it. But at least you have those cuties to enjoy. I have no idea what the silver one could be, but it is adorable!!

5. Mom 2em All

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    I was sad for them too- however, life marches on- My black laced polish is zipping this morning...[​IMG] I originally ordered these eggs because my dumb wiener dog killed the nine babies I had in the brooder.
    I ordered the serama and the frizzles because, well, I am an addict. [​IMG]

Right now I am trying to calculate how old they all will be when it gets cold here and starts to snow...most all of mine will go to my brother-in-laws farm...his coop is not heated. My boss also is going to take some.
    Mine is [​IMG] however, my chickens are illegal fugitives. I am keeping Carmen, Ziggy, Ashley- provided they stay girls-a turken or two (again, pending their sex), and at the most- two others. (I must wonder about the Serama crowing- is it loud enough to upset my neighbors? A single serama roo?)

6. pbjmaker

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Do they not have their green card?? Or did they commit a heinous crime and are now hiding from the law...[​IMG]

7. pbjmaker

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Did you ever figure out what the silver one is? It's so itty bitty.

8. AllChookUp

AllChookUp Will Shut Up for Chocolate

May 7, 2008
    Frozen Lake, MN
    New rock band name: "A Pile of Silkies".

Love it!

9. Mom 2em All

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    LOL...well, they are hiding from the law- illegal to have them here...shhhhhh...

I have no idea what the silver one is. This has been the most fun batch- surprise turkens, surprise silver...Here it is this morning, lookin a little grey:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and in the incubator- making its debut' :

I don't think this chick read its egg shell. I thought it was a Black Laced Polish...guess the B stood for Buff?

[​IMG]

10. goatkeepers

goatkeepers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Mooresville, NC
    Oh, your pics are making me want chicks NOW! [​IMG] [​IMG] This is gonne be the longest 3 weeks, eeeever. It's only day 1!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Seriously, I have no idea how I will make it. Your babies are so cute!! I still love that little silver one best! [​IMG] Do you have any idea what it could be?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by