1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pictures of Australorps?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by 3peeps, Jul 12, 2007.

1. 3peeps

3peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2007
    Would anyone be willing to share pictures of their Australorp teenagers with me? Just wanting to compare mine with others. [​IMG]

Thanks!

2. Gracefulspice

Gracefulspice Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Pa
    Here's a picture of my one Astralorp she was approx 8 mon. when I took this photo.
    [​IMG]

Here's another of 2 Australorps. But they are with 4 other birds. You can tell which they are tho. I lost all but 2 of these birds in this picture.[​IMG] They are approx 11 mon in this photo.
    [​IMG]

3. 3peeps

Jul 4, 2007
    Thank you Gracefulspice....I'm so sorry you lost your birdies. I am getting very attached to my three so I can't imagine losing four. [​IMG]

Mine is 5 weeks old tomorrow and her tail is so tall and different than my Buff Rock and Wyandotte girls. Just wondering if they feather out differently...I can see by yours that the tail is reminiscent of mine, hopefully.

I have a picture of her in the What Breed is this section under Australorp and Wyandotte gender post.

4. SeaChick

SeaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    3peeps-

The Australorp teenager we are hoping will be ours (when the city finally decides in August if we can have them!) has a long tail, too. A couple oif weeks ago we were really worried that she was a he, because of the tail, and her out-going-ness. But as she's matured, I am now more convinced she's a she. Her feathers are all filling in and the hackle feathers are blunt, not pointy, which I read was a good way to tell. Also, her comb and wattle are still just as small as the other girls at almost 9 weeks. You can see pics of her a few weeks ago at https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=9599

By
    the way compared to the Wyandotte, Barred Rock, and Sex Link she is with, her tail at 5/6 weeks was waaaaay longer..... but now the others have gotten a bit longer and her body has filled in so it's not so drastic. If you look at photos of adult BA hens, though, they DO have long tails compared to other breeds.

Stacey

5. COgirl

COgirl Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2007
    Falcon Colorado
    Do Australorps have yellow bottoms of their feet or slate? I'm trying to figure out if my roo is a Australorp or a Jersey Giant and I have heard that is the difference. My guys feet bottoms are yellow. Either way he is a handsome fellow.

6. Gracefulspice

Gracefulspice Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Pa
    Australorps have gray on the bottoms of their feet. Jersey Giants have yellow. I have both breeds. My Australorp is pictured above and my new jersy giants are bellow. You can see their feet in this pic. You can only see the tops, but you can still see alot of yellow. They are approx 11 weeks now. [​IMG]

My Australorp also have green and purple tinting to her feathers in the sunlight. My Jersey Giants do not.

7. 3peeps

Jul 4, 2007
    SeaChick...

Thank you. Your australorp does have a very similar body to mine. Sort of lanky with that long tail. It's encouraging that as adults, they do have long tails.

I'm interested to know about your zoning info. I called our clerk many years ago about chickens and his first question was, "how many." I said two or three and he said ,"I don't think so." Two years ago I emailed him and he again said no...but when I asked for the specific ordinance in writing, he didn't respond. And I can find nothing in the books online. I hate to even ask further at this point, but I'm interested in your story and how you pursued your "right" to have chickens.

Thanks again for your help...I hope everything works out well for you. Crossing all fingers! Same as our own family.

I'm editing this: Sea Chick I just found your website for the Portland backyard chicken info! It's amazing! I am really impressed with all the hard work put into it, with media coverage and all the research. It's inspiring. Now I REALLY hope you get your way, not that I didn't before. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2007
  8. horsewishr

horsewishr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2007
    West Michigan
    Quote:This is EXACTLY what I've been going through. I posted pictures of my girls on another board, and everyone said they were all girls. I was worried about my Australorp, though--for the exact same reasons you are/were. These pictures were taken at about 9 weeks:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

She's 14 weeks now, and still hasn't developed any rooster-like qualities, so I'm pretty confident that she's a hen. She's definitely the flock leader, and has a very strong personality. She's quite beautiful, IMHO!

9. SeaChick

SeaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    Pretty girl! Sure looks like a girl to me but I am a total newbie. We're still watching the girls we hope will be ours.... and they all seem like pullets now.

3peeps, thanks for the comments and crossed fingers. It is totally nerve-wracking. We've definitely lost the momentum of public interest we had last month, and we'll have to do another round of support-gathering via email and in person, pounding the pavement, in a couple of weeks to get folks to come to the public hearing.

If this doesn't pass, I think that South Portland is going to be kinda embarrased in a few years when the backyard chicken, urban gardening, eat local thing expands even more. Which, given the humongous growth in the mainstream availability of organic food, and the daily news stories about sustainable living issues, I think it definitley will. Maybe it's just the part of the country I live in, but the mainstream discussion of these issues is really exploding. Very cool.

Meanwhile, we can't even start designing our coop yet because the city is still discussing the wording for the restrictions on coops (at one point there was language that it couldn't be painted a primary color! LOL! I was like, "well, what it their house is red, they can't paint the coop to match?" Totally ridiculoous.....).

Stacey

10. barg

barg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Here are my two at 13 weeks, taken today.
    The lighting really changes how they look and so does the flash on the camera, if it were a sunny day today their green color would stand out better.

Emerald:
    /emerald113.jpg /emerald313.jpg

Mrs.Nezbit:
    /nezie13.jpg /nezzie132.jpg
    I wasn't sure how old you wanted, if you need younger pics let me know, Older pics will take a bit more time for me to get haha

Last edited: Jul 17, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by