Pictures of Blue Laced Red Wyandottes from PRIVETT Hatchery anyone?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by LoveChixinCA, Mar 24, 2011.

1. LoveChixinCA

LoveChixinCA New Egg

Mar 13, 2011
    Hello everyone!
    Does anyone have experience with Privett Hatchery's Blue Laced Red Wyandottes? My local feed store is going to get some and I'm wondering if they'll even be worth raising.
    I've always admired breeder-quality BLRs.... they're just not in my budget and my Sweetheart would KILL me if I got straight run chicks! So, if anyone has pictures of the Privett BLR's I would LOVE to see them!!
    Thanks so much!!

2. Timmy

Timmy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    texas
  3. Mandymooligan

Mandymooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Chino Valley, AZ
    Quote:I am ordering some BLR wyandottes from Privett Hatchery through my feed store. I will be getting them May 4th. I also got some silver laced, gold-laced and blues. I had to have 25.

4. jarcoo0153

jarcoo0153 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Levelland, Texas
    They have them labeled wrong on their website, Here is the link.
    http://privetthatchery.com/Home/prdDetails.aspx?id=BRWS

I was told that their birds don't look like the ones on the website, but I had a bunch of Naked Necks from them in the past, and they were closer to the breed standard than some birds I got from other hatcheries!

I am planning on ordering from them soon, and I was planning on geting BLRW, So pics would be great!

5. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    If they are like McMurry's "BLRWs" the will be Blue laced Gold instead of Blue laced Red and lack the real Wyandotte type. And the Silver Laced Wyandottes I got from Privett, I had them up until 9-10 months old and they still werent laying at that age so I sold them all. I would also not recommend ordering directly from Privett becuase they have snotty people working there and non existant customer service. If you are ordering through the feed store, you wouldnt have this problem like I did when ordering directly from them, but I personnally wouldnt go for hatchery stock BLRWs when the color as it is, can use some improvement and you arent going to get the best type and coloring from hatchery birds.

6. LoveChixinCA

LoveChixinCA New Egg

Mar 13, 2011
    Thanks for the posts thus far.
    I know they won't be anything like breeder stock... sigh. But it's my only option (unless someone wants to give me some [​IMG]
    I have a feeling that the birds won't match the pictures on their website. I've gotten chicks from Privett before and most of them don't end up as pretty (except for the Blue Wyandottes I got; they are beautiful! Very curvy)

I have one BLRW from McMurray, and I am not particularly happy with her. She's a bit more flighty than my other Wyandottes (I have a SL, GL, 2 Blues) and is sort of a rusty buff color rather than brick red, and her blue is not impressive at all.

The feed store is ordering the chicks, so thankfully I won't have to deal with Privett (I as well have not been particularly pleased with their customer service -if you can call it that- in the past)

Thanks!

7. chickee

chickee Chillin' With My Peeps

From the picture, Privett's BLRWs are very poor quality. Buying a couple of pullets from a local breeder doesn't cost that much. The beauty of a correctly colored BLRW is worth the money [​IMG] Besides, the hatcheries only guarantee 95% accuracy on sexing, so you might get a rooster anyway. [​IMG]

8. Dtrain28

Dtrain28 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2010
    I just got three last week from my local feed store.... Ordered from Privett....The chicks are stout with good coloring, wide heads, super, super curious and not skittish.....Thought I'd take a chance with hatchery BLRW.....

9. Dtrain28

Dtrain28 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2010
    there is so much perfection tweaking in BLRW that the colors are always pretty unpredictable.......Folks say hatchery BLRW are" brassy" colored instead of deep mahoganym due to lazy breeding with GLW however, didn't McMurray secure the rights to McKinney/ Govero line of BLRW? Does your McMurray BLRW pop with color? Either way BLRW are beautiful chickens any way you go.......[​IMG]

10. Amberjem

Amberjem Overrun With Chickens

does anyone have pictures to share of their privett birds?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by