1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pictures of brooder addition to our chicken coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by 2mnypets, May 20, 2007.

1. 2mnypets

2mnypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Galesburg, IL.
    After careful consideration my husband decided that the coop should have a brooder box attached to the coop. This was decided after one of our BSL pullets was attacked horribly by the others. Here is some of the pictures as it is currently happening. Will post more pics as it progresses. It really is the 20th....need to update my camera's internal calendar.

My husband and son
    [​IMG]

My hubby attaching brooder to inside of coop
    [​IMG]

Hubby and son putting wall back up
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 21, 2007
  2. 2mnypets

Apr 11, 2007
    Galesburg, IL.
    I received an email asking what we were using. This is an old rabbit hutch that belonged to my BIL. All we did was turn it on its back. Boards were layed down over the wire back which is now the floor. We re-inforced the rest of the wire netting and made new latch locks for the lids. The whole entire thing is now open with 3 different lids to access the brooder box. Each end has its own built in vents. We temporarily nailed some boards to each end tonight to keep critters and the rain out. Tomorrow we will install some hinges and latches so they can be open during the day.

Here is my son hammering the sloped wall back up with the temporary side walls.
    [​IMG]

These next two pictures are of the brooder in place with temporary walls up. We ended up finishing the walls late in the day and it was too dark to take anymore pictures. I will get some more tomorrow to update this thread.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    Very nice. Looks like a great brooder. I have had to keep my broody seperate. A dog crate is not quite big enough. At least mine is not.

4. 2mnypets

Apr 11, 2007
    Galesburg, IL.
    Thank you csguinn. It is much bigger than the pictures even show it to be. The length of the brooder is 9 feet by 2 feet in width. A nice transition brooder when they get too big for the smaller one but not yet big enough to be put in the established pecking order flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by