Pictures of Chicken tractors?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Jolyn, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Jolyn

Jolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    I looked in this forum and couldn't find any posts of pictures of tractors. Does anyone know if there is one?

If you have a chicken tractor that you use for your meat birds could you post a picture?

Thanks,
    Jodie

Last edited: Jan 2, 2009
  2. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    If you go to our website you will see ours on the front page.

3. willheveland

willheveland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    southern tier,NY
    I have mine posted in "my byc page" on this forum,in the meatbird page,check it out. Will

Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  4. zachslc

zachslc Out Of The Brooder

Oct 19, 2008
    Salt Lake City
  5. Bossroo

Bossroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    Quote:All that we can see is a closeup of some chicks behind some chicken wire on new grass. This does't give the newbees among us any idea how your operation works. Could you post a photo of the entire tractor out in the pasture so we could see the construction, feed setup, watering system, and what shelters are provided for shade and other wheather related elements,how you cope with predators, and how often you move the tractors to new grass. Thanks!

6. Jolyn

Jolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    Quote:Duh why didn't i think of that. [​IMG] Thanks for the link....it's perfect!

7. jaybme

jaybme Chillin' With My Peeps

I built a coop and put wheels on it- I wanted to be able to walk inside and visit, clean etc. Here is a pic.

The water and food hand under the hen house, and I put in a special door to make it easier to reach. I move it every other day. It has been four months and my grass is doing very well- growing faster and greener than I have ever seen in the winter.

[​IMG]

It only holds 5 chickens, though I suppose it could hold more bantam.

8. Southerngirl

Southerngirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Here is an awesome site with lots of pics posted !! Copy and paste in your search bar ! Enjoy !!![​IMG]

home.centurytel.net/thecitychicken/tractors.html

9. muddler6

muddler6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2007
    Jefferson County, PA
    Mine is on the link to my page at the bottom of this post (in blue) I moved it all around my yard all last year.

10. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    If you venture further in the site you will see two of the tractors from a veiw a little further away.

http://www.bruntyfarms.com/grassfed.html

I'm sorry but I don't have any pictures at the moment of more tractors in the field. This picture was taken about 6 years ago and I had to borrow the digital camera to take these pics. I just got one for christmas so I will take more pics of the operation in a few months. We don't start until March.

But we use 7 gallon waters with two trough feeders and one 25 lb hanging feeder / pen.

The tractors are moved 3-6 times a day depending on moister levels, humidity, temperature, and how many birds are sold for the month. The more birds that are sold, the more we push through the same pasture so we move more frequently, to not burn out the pasture, which is why the grass is always green and is always growing. We water are pastures if the temperature gets too hot.

For the pens they are extremely simple and light. They have a tin top, one side is green, the other is white. Depending on the sun and temperature depends on the side that is used. For instence if it's hot the white side is facing the sun to reflect the heat. In colder months the green side is facing up to absorb the eat. During the colder and windy days we tarp the entire pens leaving just a little section to vent, which keeps the birds dry and warm when they need to be.

Forgot to mention for the predators we have a skirt of wire that goes along each pen to keep animals from digging under the pen. We also have Great Pyrenees dogs that tend to do a great job at living up to their name!

Thanks for the interest and as soon as I get the hang of this new camera, I will get some interesting pics to share!

Last edited: Jan 5, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by