Pictures of deep litter and feeder placement and style

lowrypt

In the Brooder
Jun 4, 2016
Anyone care to share
Pictures of their coop and run? I'm going to be starting my DEEP litter method. I am starting fresh. I have a 5x6 coop. 8x12 run and 8 babies (will be hens) I am going to use poop boards too. So the 5x6 will be all available for use in winter. I live in Indiana.

I would appreciate it. INSIDE COOP AND RUN and outside.
LOOKING for feeder placement and water placement too.

Poop boards and deep litter don't go together.....a true composting deep litter needs the poop.
Here's a great description of contents and how to manage organic 'bedding' in a run or coop...and there's a great video of what it looks like.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1037998/muddy-run-help-please#post_16017992

Northern or southern Indiana? Can be a big difference.
5x6 is a bit tight for 8 birds, especially with feed and water inside and especially more if you live north.
Unless your run is roofed and walls can be winterized.

i use pine shavings for the coop and half of the run

i don't use deep litter method here.. maybe in the winter... since the last thing i want is a hot floor in 110+ degree heat for my chickens

i only have 5 chickens

Well I think my terminology is wrong. Poop boards. And then some substrate on the bottom for warmth and comfort. Since I can't use sand in winter. And
Central Indiana.
My run is roofed 8 foot. And one side protected. Then coop on one side. One side open
But possibly covered in winter too. We will see how weather goes.

The coop will have food and water inside for winter in pvc arrangement to maximize floor space and minimize waste and moisture risk.

That's was why I was looking for inside run and coop
Pictures too.

And yes we started with 6 birds and have 8 now. If we go down we will stay lower with likely 6 at a time.

I want them happy and healthy. One is a bantam. Silkie.

Back
Top Bottom