pictures of droppings boards in short coops

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by dftkarin, Aug 27, 2008.

1. dftkarin

dftkarin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    I'm hoping to use droppings boards under the roost(s) in my soon-to-be-built small 3'-4' tall coop and I'm having some trouble visualizing how it will work so that it catches poop but doesn't get walked on by the chickens - or take up valuable floor space. Would folks be willing to share picture of how they have their droppings boards set up in their small/short coops? It would be most helpful to me!

2. Gunslinger

Gunslinger Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2008
    Greene, RI
    this is how I did it.
    [​IMG]
    There is an 8" gap from the top of the roost to the board.
    I figure on slipping a wisk broom in and yanking out the poo & shavings into a box for compost.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 27, 2008
  3. black404

black404 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Unbelieveably Beautiful...

To bad it is going to get pooped on. Your chicks live uptown. lol

4. chickenfanatic

chickenfanatic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    deming new mexico
    looks like a good setup im glad ypu asked about this as i might have to give this a try sometime [​IMG]

5. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    I'd like to see pics of droppings boards that are removable.

I'm thinking to cover one with sheet vinyl so it can be removed, easily washed and put back in.

6. medicmandan

medicmandan Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2008
    Salt Lake City
    You could just install some runner boards the depth of that area pictured. Leave a gap just large enough to slide whatever thickness board you want. Cover it in laminate and then you have a removable droppings board.

Does that make sense? I have a hell of a time describing things that pop into my head.

7. Smitty's Farm

Smitty's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    The board that covers our nest boxes also doubles as a dropping shelf. It's covered in vinyl and we put pine shavings on top of that for easy cleaning. So all you have to do is scoop the poop each day. The top shelf and the nest box dividers are removeable for deep cleaning.

I know a lot of people don't like the idea of roost above their nest boxes, but it works great for us and saves on space.

[​IMG]

8. cajungal

cajungal Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2007
    Very nice...You could also lay some plastic
    on the dropping board,and than you could pull the whole thing out without having to scrape it!
    Blessing,

9. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    smitty! is that actual tile in your coop, or vinyl? Your coop looks a lot like what I was thinking of...

[​IMG]

10. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Gunslingers coop interior has to be one of the tidiest, cleanest looking things I've ever seen outside a Martha Stewart magazine!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by