1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pictures of geese flying

Discussion in 'Geese' started by SummerChick, Sep 14, 2012.

1. SummerChick

SummerChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2010
    Somerset, Texas
    This is not the greatest picture but if you have ever tried to take a picture of your geese flying then you know how difficult it is...first of all, remembering to carry your phone or camera with you and second being ready at the same time the geese decide to fly. It is never a long flight so one has to be pretty quick..lol.

Both Lucy and Elly fly but Elly is the lightest and she flies farther and more often...its funny to watch...Im pretty sure Lucy is a gander and is dominant, so when Elly flies farther well Lucy keeps running as if to show, i can beat you running if not flying! When they fly i always cheer them on by saying whoohoo! and clap...im as silly as a goose!

Anyway here is Elly...we were out walking when all a sudden Elly flys over my head, i ducked and took the picture...its a lil blurry but shows the height pretty well. I love the sprawled legs and feet in the pic. You can see the hummingbird feeder hanging in the tree in front of her.

[​IMG]

I posted this pic already but wanted to show again...Elly taking flight!

[​IMG]

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Does she start running before she takes off? my 2 like to use the driveway as a run way, they never leave the ground but theres alot of flapping and running like they may. neat pics.

3. Habibs Hens

Habibs Hens Cream Legbar Keeper

Mar 31, 2012
    London, UK
    My Coop

mine are the same they use the garden as a runway but the garden is not long enough to take off, loads of flapping and blowing feathers

i have even seen them try a standing takeoff but they jump a few inches and flop back on their feet

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    A sight to see I'm sure, lol

5. Habibs Hens

Mar 31, 2012
    London, UK
    My Coop
    i love it

you wouldnt think that i have a major fear of large birds in flight, (Ornithophobia)

i have had it since i was 4 years old

chikens and smaller i am ok with but anything larger i freak out if they open their wings when i was 11 i had a encounter with 4 jersy giants my dad brought even then i ran indoors screaming

i was always saying to myself i wont get geese as they are the size i fear along with peacocks, herons, eagles, and large such birds

but i decided to get the geese and love em and have become used to the large wings when they flap infact i love watching them up close

but that said i still have a fear for others like peacocks and eagles etc

i wont even go to Bird World LOL

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Bird World? what is that? Did you ever see Alfred Hitchcocks movie "The Birds" that made me afraid of crows. LOL

7. Habibs Hens

Mar 31, 2012
    London, UK
    My Coop

its a bird park in UK not far from me

http://www.birdworld.co.uk/

no not seen The Birds and dont think i wanna lol

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Looks interesting, this movie was made in the early 60's I think, every time I see birds flocking especially crows I think of that movie. [​IMG]

9. SummerChick

SummerChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2010
    Somerset, Texas
    It's funny, I've noticed a certain squawk or honk that I think Elly makes, maybe she is stating that she is about to take off... lol. They start running and the short flight starts. I'm intent on getting more pics because I think when they get heavier, there won't be anymore flights.

10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    How old are they SC?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by