Pictures of Ida at 8 days old

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Montanna, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Montanna

Montanna Out Of The Brooder

When do little chicks start to get wing and tail feathers? To me, it really seems early for my little chick that was hatched the afternoon of New Year's Day.

[​IMG]

She is the only one that hatched out of 7 eggs. She is real friendly and is doing just fine. I named her Ida, because I did the pullet dance, chant and waved the magic pullet wand over the eggs every day during incubation, so she has to be a pullet!!!! [​IMG]

Here is a picture of our Golden Retriever Maggie, watching the brooder where Ida resides.
    [​IMG]

Edited to add:
    Can someone post some pictures of 8 day - 2 week old chicks? I want to see how they are feathering out, compared to Ida.

Thanks for looking

Skeeter

Last edited: Jan 9, 2008
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Skeeter, I have a four day old Barred Rock who has pretty good little wings already, so it's not too early! Some breeds feather out faster than others. If it was an Orpington, you'd just now be seeing those tail feathers starting, but only on the girls, LOL. Boys would be pretty bare for awhile longer.

3. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Totally off subject, but my Mom's name is Ida and seeing a BO named the same thing just cracks me up. Always knew Mom could be a 'wet hen' [​IMG]

4. Montanna

Montanna Out Of The Brooder

Thank you Cynthia, I hope it is a girl. [​IMG] She has had tail feathers for a couple days now. I don't know what breed she is, my hens are a buff colored, but they are a cross of some sort, same with the rooster, except he is some sort of rbarred rock cross. [​IMG]

the darker hen is the mother of Ida, I didn't set any of Sonia's eggs, because she just started laying a couple months ago, she is the lighter color one. We have two darker buff hens.

[​IMG]

Thanks,
    Skeeter

Last edited: Jan 9, 2008
  5. Queen of the Lilliputians

Queen of the Lilliputians Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2007
    Maine
    This is the closest I can find right now.

Lucky, the black chick, is a bantam cochin and a cockeral. He's 4 days in that pic. The other chick is Queely, (not sure of breed.. some sort of mutt bantam game, I'm guessing), and she's maybe.. 8 -10 days in that pic.

[​IMG]

It's amazing how fast they feather out!

Meghan

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by