pictures of molting chicken?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by frizzleman74, Apr 23, 2011.

1. frizzleman74

frizzleman74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    Fairfield County
    i have 11 chicks right now and an 11 month RIR and bantam frizzle. I would like to know what to expect when a chicken begins to molt. Doesn't matter the breed, just go at it!

2. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:You want molting pictures, we've got molting pictures!!

This is Phoebe pre-molt:
    [​IMG]
    And during:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This Easter Egger in the front isn't wind-blown, she's ragged looking from molting:
    [​IMG]

Those are just two of my girls but here's an entire thread dedicated to severe molting (not the norm):
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=257565

3. whiteflare

whiteflare Out of the blue

Mar 13, 2011
    Sydney
    Wow. Looking at the pics of Phoebe... now I can be pretty sure that none of my hens have molted yet. Despite the fact that they're nearly three years old! [​IMG]

4. ADozenGirlz

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:[​IMG]

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I'd suggest you look more at the Easter Egger than the Silkie. The Silkie looks like an extreme case. I seldom have any that look that bad. With some of mine, they look a bit rough but the only way I really know they are molting is that I see a lot of fresh feathers, though some are more evident. And they don't all molt at the same time. Each chicken looks different when molting.

6. paigeandclyde

paigeandclyde Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2011
    Orange County, CA
    my chickens are molting too. they have big patches without feathers haha

7. ADozenGirlz

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:Phoebe isn't a Silkie, she's a bantam Cochin Frizzle, and you're right, she I'd certainly NOT the norm, that was an extreme case of hideous molting. Poor Phoebe. The indignity.

8. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    Tomorrow I will try to get pictures of Roadkill molting. He is my bantam frizzled NN. Last year I checked him daily for lice, mites, fleas, ticks, anything that would make him look so hideous. Nope, nothing, just a really, really bad molt. And its starting again now. Poor guy. He looks awful. Here he is, it will only get worse... [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2011
  9. ADozenGirlz

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:OMG!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Now THAT is a wicked molt!

10. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    Last year I really thought something was wrong with him. I though he either had some kind of blood sucking cooties or some serious feather picking was going on. Nope, just a real bad molt. Takes him forever to grow his feathers back in too. Here he is normally. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by